Coolant system flush covered under warranty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant system flush covered under warranty

I own two 6.0 powerstrokes. The work truck (2004 F450) and the family truck (2006 F250 Lariat 4x4, 33,000miles). I just returned from Ford after leaving the 2006 F250 with them for 3 days. My complaint was coolant level low. Coolant residue splashed under hood from fan. Degas Bottle has debris and sand at bottom. Loss of fuel economy.

Ford said that there were no leaks in the system. Pressure tested and found no leaks. My concerns about debris in the cooling system were not even noted on paperwork. I waited for the service manager. He told me that Ford has revised the recommended intervals for cooling system flush. So I asked to see the TSB. He found TSB 09-8-5 he was referring to, the recommendations remain the same. Check every 6 months, initial change 105,000 miles, subsequent change every 45,000 miles. I asked the manager to make a note on my paperwork that the debris and casting sand and glycol crystals were normal, and he did. With his signature!!

I know that the system needs to be flushed ASAP. My problem is, shouldn't Ford cover this if the system is compromised before the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expires?

I should also note that ECT and EOT temperatures were within 7 deg on a family trip this weekend. I also didn't loose any coolant.

Exact quote hand written on HUB City Ford ticket

"Degas Bottle has traces of Casting Sand in bottom of bottle. This is a normal condition
Tommy Arceneaux "

By "traces" he really means there is a ton of Sh*t resting at the bottom of the degas bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Install a coolant filter and keep an eye on your temps. THey seem to be in the normal range.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where do you live so i don't got to that dealer, install a coolent filter quick your degas bottle may be cracked or a bad cap, even changing the coolent will not remove all of the casting sand. You do need to check the nitrite level.
2 stroker
Old 07-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Degas bottle is fine. I know I've replaced a few on the F450. No venting from there. The coolant / silica trail I saw was thrown under the hood from the fan. The front of the heads looked as if they had been compromised. Maybe from towing my Kubota 7040HTC. Ford rep said they had never seen head gaskets leak externally. I told him that I've owned 18 wheelers and spent my time in the Army and have seen HG leak down the block. The fluid will take the path of least resistance.
I've installed the DieselSite Coolant by-pass filtration system on the F450 but was leery about installing one on the F250 thinking it may effect warranty.
But as it stands, Ford will do its best to avoid any claim so what the hell. Time to flush the F250 and install the filters.
I was just asking for Ford to flush the system under warranty since there is a problem before the recommended interval.
They also checked Nitrate level, and said all is well. The only way to test accurately is from the radiator drain. I doubt they did that. Probably checked from the degas which I had just topped off with MC 50/50.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

A coolant filter should NOT void the warranty. It shoulda been standard equipment but its wasn't. I also have never seen or heard of a 6.0 leaking coolant externally from the HG's. It sounds to me like your water pump might be leaking if the fan is spraying it up over the front of the motor. I would install that filter and change the first one out at 500 miles, then at 1000 miles and then once a yr. That was the recommended interval from dfuser when i installed their kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.