HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fireman346
HELP

Hey guys i just bought an early build 03 6.0. Cc auto 4x4. Truck has 191k on it. Before i bought the truck took it to the dealer and had it put on the laptop. Showed injectors 2 and 6 were extremely weak. Also codes for turbo and egr valve. I got it cheap so i went ahead and bought it. Removed the egr valve and cleaned it. Putting it back in broke one of the bolts off in the intake. Not to worried bout that plan on putting new intake on anyways. Took it and had injectors 2 and 6 changed and the turbo cleaned. Put used injectors in for a temporary fix till i can afford some after markets. Well truck ran ten times better than when i originally bought it. Still dosen't run right after that work. You could hold it flat to the floor and it was real sluggish taking off. Truck would start to studder right before it would shift. It would go to 3800 rpm hold there for a second and then shift. The turbo would finally light up go and the truck would run awesome. Well the mechanic told me the intake was carboned up really bad. Me and a buddy take out the egr valve and take a wire brush and clean it the best we could. Took the intake elbow off and started the truck to see if we could blow any more carbon out. Put the truck all back together and now it runs like crap. Did notice some soot on the firewall. You can place the truck flat to the floor and it does the studdering deal and when it finally shifts it still acts like the truck is real sluggish. Truck is strait piped and at idle you cant hear any turbo whistle what so ever. After you get moving you can finally hear a little whistle at about 2 grand. Mechanic said the turbo was on the way out and i should start looking for another one. Well i hear a loud ticking sound when i drive like an exhaust leak. Im thinking maybe the y pipe is busted and not letting it build boost. Truck wont even power brake or even attempt to. It is completely stock except for being strait piped. I will say that if you don't floor board it the truck still seems sluggish but it runs better. Im thinking its a combination of turbo y pipe and possibly fuel pump. Sorry for the long post but im at a loss and was wanting to get some of your opinions. Thanks Casey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Emergency Services

I forgot to add that when it does the studder and and revs high before it shifts it white smokes and once it shifts it clears out and dosent do it again untill it starts studdering.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to cxrxaxz
my truck did the stuttering and white smoke real bad when my egr was sticking, and cleaning it didnt help, trying unplugging it and see if the whitesmoke stuttering goes away. you can run it unplugged wont hurt anything.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:07 AM

You have an exhaust leak at a minimum. I would also pull the turbo and clean it - unless you just want a new turbo. If you do, the new Garrett Powermax is a good turbo for our trucks!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Emergency Services

Well the turbo was just pulled off and cleaned when i put the 2 injectors in last week. He said it was about gone that i should look for another one. I wanted to start looking just not this soon.....lol
Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Sounds like your VGT vanes are stuck even though the mech. said it got done, check yourself unless YOU saw it cleaned. Diesel Technician Society

Unplug your EGR, see what that does. What codes are being throw now?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Emergency Services

Im not for sure what codes now cause we didnt delete them since before the injectors and everything was done. What the lap top showed was egr and turbo. He did clean the turbo. I seen it a part after it was cleaned. Like i said at idle with a strait pipe there is no turbo whistle and it doesn't sound like a jet. Its just a real low rumble. It sounds kinda good actually. Thanks for all the suggestions. When i get off work in the morn im goin to try the egr unhooked and see what happens.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 PM

clear codes and then try vgt relearn, but first see so vgt are claen and not sticky.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Emergency Services

Well i unpluged the egr valve. Seems like it ran a little better but still same symptoms. I did notice that you can rev the truck up and if you hold it steady there is a nasty smell comeing from the tail pipe. Not a diesel smell. Also i noticed that if i hold it flat to the floor and it starts studdering and wont shift if i let off the throttle just a little it will shift and go on. Still feels like it is being held back. Even when in neutral if you lay it flat to the floor its hard for it to rev over 3k. If you back it off just a little it will bounce off the rev limiter. It goes in the shop tomorrow to get some of the exhaust leaks fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.