buying used sct, how can I tell if it is unlocked? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buying used sct, how can I tell if it is unlocked?

Searched for this for an hour but I am no closer to finding an answer.

If I go over to look at a used sct xcal2, how can I tell if it is locked/unlocked?
can I plug it into my truck and it will tell me?

Thanks in advance guys!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hooked up my used one and when I went into the info section in the menu, it said it had 5 unlocks left. I had no issues putting the tow tune into my truck, if it is locked I read that you will not be able to tune the truck.

Does he still have his truck, if so have him return his truck to stock and then show you on the screen how many unlocks are left. This is for an x3 but hopefully somebody with an x2 can confirm if it is the same or not.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 PM

it is for a ford mustang, he no longer has the vehicle.
I will need to know if it is unlocked before I buy a tune for my truck tho.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would hook it up to your truck and see if you can then get any info from it, play around and go thru the menus and such. It may not let you do much if it is locked.
Does the seller say if he returned the car to stock before he sold it?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Can anyone else chime in that can give me a definitive answer? I might as well buy a new one if I end up getting a locked used one by mistake.
Thanks for your input Tuckman
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

If you hook it up to a computer through the SCT program, it will tell you all the information, including if its currently locked, and how many unlocks it has left. You just need a usb/printer cable and can get the software on SCT's website for free. I just bought a used X2 and thats how I figured it out.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:08 PM

You can either hook it to a computer or hook it to your truck. I have a X3 and if I plug it into my truck the very first page that comes up on the tuner will say whether it is locked/unlocked and how many unlocks are left.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 AM

sweet, thanks guys I appreciate it!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:52 AM

If you have any reflashes to your truck and your current strategy is VXCF9 you will need to update the tuner via SCTs website and updates plus email them to get you to send the missing info for the VXCF9 strat. it is very easy and well worth it, after I got my Livewire and did all the updates my buddy bought a used one from a mustang and we had to do all the updates on it. Takes a few minutes but is easy, without the updates it will not tune the truck though and may make you think it is locked. Just go to the device info screen and it will display the firmware info, device serial, unlocks left, married or unmarried status, and software info. It needs to be unmarried and have unlocks left. SCT will give you more unlocks for $49 per.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM

FOR THE FORD X3/SF3 3000/3015 AND THE GM SF3 3100:

* Power up the device by plugging in to either a vehicle's OBDII port or a computer's USB port. (usb cable not included)
* Once powered up, scroll all the way down to device info.
* Press Select on Device Info.
* Status will either be: Status: Locked or Status: Unlocked.

*This is the breakdown of what each one means:*
* Status: Locked - The vehicle is VIN locked, you need to either return the vehicle it is currently locked to back to stock, or you will need to call Tech Support and Get a Return Authorization and pay an Unlocking Fee.

FOR THE X2 9400 AND THE SF 9415:

* Power up the device by plugging in to either a vehicle's OBDII port or a computer's USB port. (usb cable not included)
* Once powered up, scroll all the way down to device info.
* Press select, this will display firmware version and serial number.
* Press select again, and this will display the Tuner Status.
* NOTE: If it does not take you to the Tuner Status Window, and instead kicks you back to the Device Info Screen, Your Firmware is Old and will Need to be Updated to check the status. There is an FAQ section for this. Status will either be: Stat=Stock, Stat=Aftermarket, or Stat=Unused.

* Stat=Stock - Your tuner is half locked, but fixable. Go the the tech support page, select the Ford Xcalibrator 2 in the first drop down, select Device Update Software in the second drop down and hit Search. Download Liveload 3 by clicking the "Click Here to Download" next to it. Install this application, once installed open it up, plug in the X2. The program asks the X2 to be on the main menu. Program Vehicle is the main menu of the X2s. Press the unlock button within the liveload application. This will change the status to Unused and the tuner will then be ready to tune a new vehicle.

* Stat=Aftermarket - The vehicle is VIN locked, you need to either return the vehicle it is currently locked to back to stock, or you will need to call Tech Support and Get a Return Authorization, send it the Device and pay an Unlocking Fee.

* Stat=Unused - Your tuner is not locked, go tune.

FOR THE LIVEWIRE 9600/6.4 9621/6.4 9623:

* Power up the device by plugging it in to either a vehicle's OBDII port or a computer's USB port. (mini-usb cable included)
* Turn the wheel so that you are looking at Dealer/Device Info. (The Icon is a Question Mark)
* Press the wheel while on the Question Mark.
* Look for "Married Status:"
* It will either say: Married Status: Unlocked or Married Status: Locked.

* Married Status: Locked - The vehicle is VIN locked, you need to either return the vehicle it is currently locked to back to stock, or you will need to call Tech Support and Get a Return Authorization and pay an Unlocking Fee.

* Married Status: Unlocked - Your tuner is not locked, go tune.

IF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE IS NOT PRESET, READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS

To get the unit unlocked you will need to contact our Tech Support staff over the phone and they will instruct you on what you will need and the information we will need so you can send your device in to us for unlock. The cost to unlock the unit is $150.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.