How to test 4x4 system? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to test 4x4 system?

is there a way to test the 4x4 system, or a way to tell if its working? i have a feeling mine is not.

i was pulling my utility trailer out of the back of my property where i keep it, has been pretty muddy recently. I had the truck in 4x4, the rear tires (tire really) was kicking up lots of mud. But the fronts weren't. I didn't get stuck, but i wanna make sure its working, and if not, how do i go about fixing it? i read they are controlled by vacuum?

at a minimum how do i go about testing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 12:04 PM

put in 4x4 get on tar and crank all the way to the left or right, if it hops and tires chirp, it works if not it dont
Old 07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxthis View Post
put in 4x4 get on tar and crank all the way to the left or right, if it hops and tires chirp, it works if not it dont
Right on
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
did you get out and lock the hubs?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
heres what i did when i first found out. since im on a farm land, i went to a spot on grass. in 2x4 mode i floored the truck and back spins. got the base test done. then 4x4 and floored it. no different. locked the hubs then floored it again and took off. so thats when i first found out mine didnt work. its redneck but it worked for me.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Hold on, do you want someone to break there truck. Come on this is the worse idea I have ever heard.

Not only can you break the hubs, u-joints, axle shafts, t-case. You can cause damage to the transmission casing.

To properly test your 4wheeldrive. First off you want to inspect everything. Take the hubs off the truck, check out the seal for the vaccuum on the hub. Check the vaccuum hoses going to the hubs. Check the vaccuum pump. If you have electronic shift on the fly. Check to make sure your getting voltage to the motor. Make sure the motor is actually shifting into 4hi.

If everything checks out from your inspection. Then go find a dirt road. Put your truck in 4hi. Then hammer down the throttle. If it spins from the rear, your truck is not in 4wd. So stop put the truck in park. Manually lock the hubs in. Then hammer down and try again. If you are still spinning and not taking off. Your t-case is not shifting into 4wd or you have a problem in the T-case.

But what ever you do. Do not drive in 4wd on dry pavement.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Hold on, do you want someone to break there truck. Come on this is the worse idea I have ever heard.

Not only can you break the hubs, u-joints, axle shafts, t-case. You can cause damage to the transmission casing.
IMO, its not like your romping on the go pedal when you do this. All you do is put it in 4wd, turn the steering wheel full lock, and release the brake (your idleing). You find out really quick. You'll feel it in the steering wheel. Plus if something does break, the first time you went mudding you would be stranded. I would wrather find out at at the house rather than far from home. I would wrather lock my 4wd in and idle rather than romping on the go pedal. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Get all 4 wheels off the ground with some good strudy jackstands, put it in 4wd, start it up, put in gear and see if 2 or 4 wheels are turning?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there is no weight on the front wheels. so it can turn but add weight to it and it is possible they will not turn due to not being fully engaged.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post

To properly test your 4wheeldrive. First off you want to inspect everything. Take the hubs off the truck, check out the seal for the vaccuum on the hub. Check the vaccuum hoses going to the hubs. Check the vaccuum pump. If you have electronic shift on the fly. Check to make sure your getting voltage to the motor. Make sure the motor is actually shifting into 4hi.

If everything checks out from your inspection. Then go find a dirt road. Put your truck in 4hi. Then hammer down the throttle. If it spins from the rear, your truck is not in 4wd. So stop put the truck in park. Manually lock the hubs in. Then hammer down and try again. If you are still spinning and not taking off. Your t-case is not shifting into 4wd or you have a problem in the T-case.

But what ever you do. Do not drive in 4wd on dry pavement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.