New batteries? Brand? Size? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New batteries? Brand? Size?

Notice a color change in the window of one battery. These are original.

Any recommendations? Brands? Sizes?

I read where someone went from a 750 to a 850. Any thoughts?

I will be replacing both.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 F350 6.0L CC LB 4x4 King Ranch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i would go wit Optima Red Tops...i kno i will when that time comes !!!

-Mike-
2006 F-350 Lariat, Supercab, 6.0L, 3.73's...Rhinolined Bed...6 Spd Handshaker...Mag-Hytec Diff. Covers...Smoked Recon Lights...Amsoil oils front 2 back...Optima Yellow Tops...MBRP 5" ST8 Pipe, Turbo Back...Dieselsite Coolant Filter...Amsoil/Injen CAI...SCT SF3 Canned Tunes 4 Now...CFM Intake Manifold and Boost Tube...Blue Spring Upgrade...Edge Insite CTS !!!
post #3 of 11 Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
I run interstate batteries that are 850 in my 01 I paid like $90 a piece for them 2 years Ago when I got my truck and they are great.

Jason, But you can call me Sir!!!

2001 F-350 CC Dually~Built and tuned by PHP~572/1161ft lbs fuel only~few LEDs here and there

GOPOWERHUNGRY.COM
post #4 of 11 Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 AM

If you have an Advance Auto Parts near you can get there 3 year free replacement for about $85 each before taxes buy buying it online and store pickup. Use coupon code K220 for a 20% discount on a order. You could get 2 Red Top Optima's for about $272 with the discount. That's my local pricing here in NC.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 PM

on the motorcraft batteries, in the color window, what color is good and what is bad? whats it mean lol?

Thanks,
Adam

2006 F-250 6.0L CCSB Lariat 4x4, ARP studs, SCT tunes by innovative diesel, Silverline 4" turbo back exhaust no cat no muffler! Upfitter switches w/high idle mod, Edge Insight monitor w/EGT probe, autometer fuel psi gauge, Zoodad mod with billet plate. Ford Updated fuel psi spring and banjos, RCD egr delete, Ford updated oil cooler and stc fitting, dieselsite cac boots and coolant filter.

1984 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel, cold air intake.
"Run Hard, Dream Big"
post #6 of 11 Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard View Post
on the motorcraft batteries, in the color window, what color is good and what is bad? whats it mean lol?
Green is good, red/orange is bad....
The problem is that the "eye" is only in one cell, so the cell that has the eye can be good but the battery could still be bad

2006 F-450 XLT 4x4 Auto 4.30L Alcoa 19.5" 16,000 GVWR
Kelderman 4-Link/4-Bag Rear Suspension, Lariat Seats, '08 Console, '11 Mirrors, CTS, SCT X3
ARP's w/OEM HG, BPD 6ph FICM @ 58v, BPD Oil Cooler w/stat, Ported Intake, 185 amp Alt
P-Max w/WPE billet wheel, Spearco IC, 4" Banks Exhaust, Shell T6, Zerex EC-1, Oil bypass filter

49,000 miles

post #7 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the input.

Load tested both, replaced both. Not the Optimas' though. Where I bought the new ones had Optimas' on the shelf, didn't feel I needed to spend the extra dough. Funny thing, either did the salesman.

The tests didn't show the batteries were terribly bad, they just weren't good. The guy at the shop said, if I wanted to do preventative, replace them. Or I could just wait till the passenger side went replace then. (passenger side load tested the worst)

I chose preventative.

Thanks for the input.

2004 F350 6.0L CC LB 4x4 King Ranch
post #8 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 PM

I only run Intersates in my trucks. The size for the Ford pick-ups is MTP-65. In my opinion, the strongest one out there. There not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Thanks,
Ed
post #9 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 07:06 PM

I have used the Optima red and it sucked!Less than a year and i had to replace it. Couldnt even get a tune in the truck cause the battery kept taking a dump. Never again will i have one. This was in the Lightning. Motorcraft have been in my F250 truck for 150k and thats what is going back in.... or the duralast. I have had good luck with the one in my Lightning

Nov 2003 built
2004 PSD F250.
SC Long Bed SRW
EGR delete, Studs, Swamps FICM, 4" turbo back

post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2010, 10:18 PM

I had real good luck with my interstate.

1999 F-250 SUPERDUTY ZF6

37'' Toyo MT - DIY Intake - 2.2K Mod - 4'' Turbo Back SS - GTP38R - And Lots more.

'' My Lug Nuts Require More Torque Than Your Honda Makes ''
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode