6.0 Good motor? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Good motor?

As said in previous post. I am new to the diesel world. I am shopping between Ford Powerstroke and Chevy Duramax. I am scared to buy a truck that is 7+ years old so that I can have a 7.3 L. So I figured I would check out the later models 6.0L. Are these trucks really plagued with engine problems? How are the transmissions? I will be financing for 5 years. Would you hesitate to buy a truck with 80k miles? I want to find a 250 with ext cab short bed. 3.73 gears. Stock motor. 4x4. no more than 80k miles. What would this truck get for approx mpg. I drive mostly on main roads at around 55-60 MPH. Not very much in town puttering. I average 15k-18k miles per year. That meas the truck would have approx 170k milesw on it by the time I got i paid off. Are there typical bench marks for when I would start to see sme major problems? Thanks for your help guys. Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you really are sticking to side roads and 55-60 mph you should probably get around 16+ mpg. As for the truck, I bought mine with 125,000 miles on it. It will either last or it won't. It can be a bit of a crapshoot with a 6.0L. When you look at one be sure to get the Oasis report so you can tell if it was a lemon.

For comparison sake you would probably get around 17-18 mpg with a Dodge or Duramax, but they both have their own sets of issues.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
As long as you do the maintanence as scheduled the 6.0 is great
Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
there is good 6.0's out there. and honestly a 7.3 is nothing to walk by either.. they're worth their weight in gold. just depends what you need and plan to use it for.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM

Not trying to turn you away, just explaining my experiences...

I bought my 2004 F-250 a little over a month ago with 116k miles. It needs headgaskets, erg cooler, and an oil cooler rebuild now. I didn't abuse it or anything like that, I guess it just decided to let loose right after I bought it. My dealer will not stand behind a vehicle they sold me. So now I have a very shinny and expensive turd in my driveway...

It was great proir to this though. I loved the truck while it was run how it should. Now I don't even want to look at it.

I would say get a warrenty with your purchase. Even if it costs extra. I wish I would have. Now I need to find another truck or pull 4k out my rump...
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004-Stroker View Post
Not trying to turn you away, just explaining my experiences...

I bought my 2004 F-250 a little over a month ago with 116k miles. It needs headgaskets, erg cooler, and an oil cooler rebuild now. I didn't abuse it or anything like that, I guess it just decided to let loose right after I bought it. My dealer will not stand behind a vehicle they sold me. So now I have a very shinny and expensive turd in my driveway...

It was great proir to this though. I loved the truck while it was run how it should. Now I don't even want to look at it.

I would say get a warrenty with your purchase. Even if it costs extra. I wish I would have. Now I need to find another truck or pull 4k out my rump...
Sounds like someone unloaded a truck they beat the crap out of on your dealer then the dealer unloaded it on you
Old 07-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sounds like someone unloaded a truck they beat the crap out of on your dealer then the dealer unloaded it on you

Must have been. Either way, I'm out a hefty chunk of change. The dealer that sold it to me won't touch it with a 10' stick. Bastards... I guess ethics doesn't apply to business anymore. I wasn't asking for a free fix either.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So are you saying this is not a common failure? I would be able to front one of those repair prob. but 4k all at once? Ouch that really sucks.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan21756 View Post
So are you saying this is not a common failure? I would be able to front one of those repair prob. but 4k all at once? Ouch that really sucks.
EGR cooler failures happen but in most cases they are owner inflicted. Maintenence is key in owning a diesel.

Its not a gasser where you can just drive it and forget about oil changes and stuff
Old 07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well thank you for the info.. gonna make a move at some point. Just don't know wich direction I am going to go in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.