244000 miles hold up to tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
244000 miles hold up to tuner

My truck is an 03 6.0 auto crew cab short box with 244000 miles on it been bone stock all it's life minus a str8 and egr delete would this truck survive a sct livwire I don't wanna beat the piss outa it just to get mileage and a lil performance and I was thinking of getting some new injectors any suggestions on where to get some for a good price thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 AM

Whats a str8?

I have an '03 6.0 in my sig. Everything done in the sig at 199,000 miles minus the Banks at 179,000.

Any tuner you add - regardless of manufacturer, custom tune, canned tune - all are going to increase cylinder pressures. With your truck with original head bolts and original head gaskets - (assuming original since you didnt mention not being) - your factory head bolts and head gaskets are probably on their way out anyhow - typically stock doesnt last beyond 100,000 miles let alone (as both our trucks have lasted 200,000+) .

As far as mileage - its really hard to get good mileage with a tuned truck. Some reason when you tune your truck - your right foot gains about 4 pounds . Really bazaar.

Just as an example - not pushing any tuner here - with my Banks - I picked up 4-6mpgh under normal driving - towing I picked up 2-5mpg depending on terrain.

Not trying to be a kill-joy here but just sayin' --> You may want to lay aside in your budget around $3000 for studs and gaskets. (not including cost to magnaflux, hot tank, and deck heads if necessary) Increased pressures will totally kill your head bolts (they stretch) and gaskets will fail. Even without a tuner - eventually your bolts will fail and you will still need studs and gaskets. Just a matter of time.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
As far as mileage - its really hard to get good mileage with a tuned truck. Some reason when you tune your truck - your right foot gains about 4 pounds . Really bazaar.
So true! It doesn't matter if you have a car, truck, bike, boat that always seems to happen.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Head gaskets were replaced at 180000 miles new head bolts donno if he put studs or factory bolts but he said they were changed out and everything else was good heads were checked and they were still good not warped or anything egr was deleted so I donno my buddy has a king ranch and a tuner on it he always run high hp tunes and he is hard on it and it had headgaskets changed prior to the tuner and he has Had no issues with it and he still has egr on his truck His truck only has 100000 though o ya and str8 means straight pipe exhaust
Old 06-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Bump any one with info
Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if you do not want to find the week spots sooner than later stay stock.
like stated above the tuners no matter what you choose, will add stress showing the week spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.