Any good 6.0 PSDs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any good 6.0 PSDs

Anyone out there that hasnt replaced gaskets and studs etc.. and have had a good dependability from the 6.0? All that I read about is the problems and since I havent had any YET do I need to sell or possibly do I have a reliable engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 AM

well mine has been a good 6.0 and its an early 04 153,000 maybe 152,000. My dad has a early 6.0 and he has 182,000 both have original head gaskets.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenubsterman View Post
well mine has been a good 6.0 and its an early 04 153,000 maybe 152,000. My dad has a early 6.0 and he has 182,000 both have original head gaskets.
Mines been pretty good. Only thing I had wrong was an oil leak.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mines been good so far...122,xxx... original bolts, gaskets, and up until Memorial weekend, original oil cooler... I changed the cooler because of a temp delta of 17 degrees when on the highway... no dealer repair on the oasis other than a couple of recalls and one egr valve cleaning... when I swapped the cooler I also dumped the egr and cleaned the turbo, half the vanes were stuck... runs great!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I thoroughly believe that many of the issues with the 6.0 are brought on by owners who don't understand diesels in general and the Powerstroke specifically. Maintenance is critical with these because of the HEUI injection setup, and working the turbo is critical because of the VGT. I can't tell you how many times I see a Powerstroke driver whip into a parking lot and shut the truck off without giving it time for the turbo to cool down. This will give you a very short turbo life. Or babying the truck and trying to eek every last mpg out of it you can. The PS need to be run hard and the turbo needs to see full boost regularly to keep the VGT vanes from sooting up. I think most of us on this forum know what happens if you don't stay on top of your oil/filter and fuel filter changes. You go through injectors. If people monitored their ECT and EOT and replaced the oil cooler when it clogs BEFORE the truck blows EGR coolers and pukes etc. a lot of those failures wouldn't happen either. Personally I think the 6.0 has gotten a bad rap that isn't all it's fault. Yeah some things could have been done better but show me a vehicle that this is not true of. If it breaks fix it right the first time so it doesn't happen again. Stay on top of your maintenance, work the turbo and always give it time to cool down before shutting the truck off and monitor your temps. Do this and you will have a reliable 6.0. Synthetic oil helps a lot too.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Mines been awesome. Only been in the shop for a fuel gauge sending unit. And a turbo replacement.

The turbo replacement was owner inflicted. He parked the truck for almost a year and never had anyone run it. So the vanes rusted tight
Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 AM

Ah, the myth of the reliable 6.0

When I bought my '05 two and a half years ago it had 96k miles on it. It now has 146k. In that time the front suspension managed to break to the point that I don't think any part is original anymore, and has been quite costly to repair. On the other hand, the 6.0 motor itself has surprisingly been good to me despite my fears. I did have to have the FICM replaced, but that's it so far, knock on wood.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
From a parts replacement standpoint, my truck has been a nightmare. Thankfully, I opted for the Motorcraft extended warranty to 100k and my truck has really only stranded me one time. While it hasn't been an easy road, it has helped me understand how these engines work and mine gets used quite a bit. I have also determined where the weak points are and fix them BEFORE they become bigger problems.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1er View Post
Mines been good so far...122,xxx... original bolts, gaskets, and up until Memorial weekend, original oil cooler... I changed the cooler because of a temp delta of 17 degrees when on the highway... no dealer repair on the oasis other than a couple of recalls and one egr valve cleaning... when I swapped the cooler I also dumped the egr and cleaned the turbo, half the vanes were stuck... runs great!
I recently installed an Insight Edge monitor and on a trip last week to Florida (1400 miles round trip) pulling a 16k # 5er, the difference between EOT and ECT was about 15 to 20 degrees higher on EOT.

You noted 17 degrees on yours and you replaced the oil cooler. Did that help? What should the difference be? And lastly, how hard is it to replace the oil cooler?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

in town the delta was 8 to 10 degrees, on the highway it would go to 17 easy without towing... now it's 3-5 in town and 8-12 towing @ 75mph... granted my ski trailer is only about 3k but the truck would go over 20 if I went faster than 65mph...

everyone says any delta over 10 degrees is bad... my case is with a new oil cooler and welded egr, I think the temps I have are perfectly fine as my EOT never goes over 215ish and ECT has never been over 210... my normal temps are ECT 186-192 EOT 190 to 200... no puking, no cooling fan, no smoke... so far...

it's not a hard job to do but it is very time consuming... took me 16hrs to do all of it over the weekend and that's counting parts store runs and tons of water breaks... it's hot down here in Georgia...

Last edited by b1er; 06-30-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.