BIO as an Additive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BIO as an Additive

So I ran a bottle of Dieselkleen and it seemed to run a bit quieter and was thinking about picking up some of the ashless 2stroke oil now to run as a fuel lubricant.
I seem to recall that the research showed that BioDiesel was the best thing to run as a fuel additive. Luckily I live in the PNW and there are lots of places to get BIO.

So is it as good as the research shows as an additive? What is the grade of fuel I need to get when purchasing BIO for the purpose of an additive?
Note: I do not want to void my warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

it wasnt tested as an additive,b100 was tested with no additives to show the improvements over reg diesel.and if you dont want to void the warranty i wouldnt go over b20.but if you are gonna use it as an additive i would get 3/4 tank reg diesel and then fill the rest of the way up with b20-b50.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pwrstrokr6.4 View Post
it wasnt tested as an additive,b100 was tested with no additives to show the improvements over reg diesel.and if you dont want to void the warranty i wouldnt go over b20.but if you are gonna use it as an additive i would get 3/4 tank reg diesel and then fill the rest of the way up with b20-b50.
Wrong. It was tested as an additive and result was a B2 level of bio performed better than any of 20 or so tested additives.

I have run b100 in my truck for the past 2 summers and the truck loves it. If you can get it go ahead and run it. Nothing will make your truck run as quietly as bio. As I said I have run probably a total of 10 months on B100 without issue. Run whatever blend you are comfortable with. Your truck will thank you.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 AM

Yeah, thats the chart I remember. You run b100 without any mods to your rig?

Edit: looks like I should be able to run b100 fine on a stock 06', but will just mix to about b20 for now.

Last edited by Maynards; 06-30-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The caveat to running BioD is that its cloud point is higher than reg diesel. So if you run it in the summer you should be fine but during the winter you will have to blend it with reg diesel or #1 diesel depending on where you live in the PNW.

Wish I lived where BioD was plentiful......

Good Luck!
Thad
Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM

I run B20 year round. It does not seem to be much different as far as noise goes but with the added lubricity that the b20 provides over reg ULSD ill keep running it. I would love to be able to get a vegistroke system but the funds are just not there right now
Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Do they run a winter blend of B20? Just curious since theres no way reg B20 would work up here in the winter without gelling or running an anti-gel.

Thad
Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 AM

From what I read, the "winter" mix up here in WA is b75, IDK?

Anyway, I put in 4 gal of b20 yesterday, should put me between 2-4%. It was cheaper per gal then my normal station, go figure.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynards View Post
Yeah, thats the chart I remember. You run b100 without any mods to your rig?

Edit: looks like I should be able to run b100 fine on a stock 06', but will just mix to about b20 for now.
No modifications to the truck to run B100. The truck loved it. After 4 1/2 months running B100 when I ran my first tank of ULSD I couldn't figure out why my truck was making so much noise. It was so quiet on the B100 I forgot how noisy they are on ULSD. I would go ahead and step it up to B100 in steps. B20, B50, B100. That's the way I started just to ease my mind. After running B100 the first time I just kept using that. Plus it was cheaper than the ULSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajeep View Post
The caveat to running BioD is that its cloud point is higher than reg diesel. So if you run it in the summer you should be fine but during the winter you will have to blend it with reg diesel or #1 diesel depending on where you live in the PNW.

Wish I lived where BioD was plentiful......

Good Luck!
Thad
Yeah it depends on the feedstock used what the cloud point will be. I have heard of folks running cannola based bio in single digits. The only commercial bio where I live was pretty much done by the end of Oct and had a fairly high cloud point. As of this year the only commercially available bio in Baltimore is no longer selling it because they tried to lay all kinds of additional licensing fees on them this year.

Way to support alternative energy and ween us of of Foreign Oil Obama!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM

PG did you run the b100 on the stock fuel system or do you have a vegi kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.