EOT temps when towing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wildfingas
EOT temps when towing?

Wondering what you guys are seeing for oil temps when towing.

This past Friday I towed a 9-10k camper with the canned SCT 50HP tune and on long climbs I was seeing oil temps of about 220* and the highest was 225*. my coolant temps were right around 210-220* on the same climb. When the oil would get this hot it would spit a little from the coolant recovery bottle. It has also done this when the oil cooler was clogged and the oil temps would spike.

I have had it check numerous times for HG's and has checked good each and every time.

I regularly run gearheads SRL file which has NEVER done this. EOT and ECT are always within 8 degrees of each other. Even if I make a long rip on the highway.

I though I read on here that alot of guy see this when towing.

Anyone else get this when towing and oil temps get up there??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

I'm all stock. Pulling my 8500# Trailer on hard pull, 1300 feet elev. to 2100ft.elev. I will reach 230 EOT and 220 ECT. It lasts very short time. Right at top of hill. Flat ground running I-5 EOT 210-220, ECT 198-210. The ECT temps drop quickly here and there, so it's difficult to be real accurate. I'm watching the road more than the gauges.

Hope this helps
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The temps wouldn't indicate a oil cooler problem but the fact that it is puking would concern me. If I couldn't do a full egr delete I would at least do a "sneaky" and weld plugs in the egr cooler so that nothing can get through there and into the intake. That should also eliminate it as a source for the puking. I'd be thinking about head studs.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Just pulled my boss's 8k# bumper in 100+ deg heat for about 400 miles with Edge Evo on Tow. The majority of the time ECT and EOT stayed within 8* to 15* of each other. I did max the EOT at 236* and ECT at 226* on one long hill running about 68mph.

The majority of the trip I ran EOT 215* and ECT around 190*. This is on an 03 CC 6.0 3.73 with the EGR unplugged but still in place.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 AM

i really wouldnt be so concerned with the puking thing to be honest with you, i know the rule is cold fill to the min line, when i bough mytruck it was about a half inch below the cold line when cold, i left it be and never had a puking issue at all, one day i topped it off the the min line on the bottle, after a few days and beating the crap out of the truck i noticed small ammounts of puking, i worried about it at first then noticed it puked enough out to where it put the level back to the half inch below the min mark and hasnt puked since... my head gaskets and cooler are fine. i work on alot of international heavy duty trucks for my job at cummins and they use the same rad cap and coolant bottle as our trucks do, obviously its alot bigger but you understand. and most all trucks i open the hood on has puking signs on the bottle and cap, especially if there filled up more than they need to be...its how the cap is designed it just looks bad cuz it makes a mess and 210 + degrees on the coolant is getting rather warm its gasses are expanding alot at those temps it has to go somewhere. just my thoughts
Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The temps wouldn't indicate a oil cooler problem but the fact that it is puking would concern me. If I couldn't do a full egr delete I would at least do a "sneaky" and weld plugs in the egr cooler so that nothing can get through there and into the intake. That should also eliminate it as a source for the puking. I'd be thinking about head studs.
EGR cooler deleted and brand new oil cooler also done. It only did it when towing and and temps made a spike. When there is no load I never have an issue. Even when I am hard on it. You know like Mario Andriette. The coolant level was also in between MIN and MAX so with the higher temps and expansion I would assume this is what was causing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard View Post
i really wouldnt be so concerned with the puking thing to be honest with you, i know the rule is cold fill to the min line, when i bough mytruck it was about a half inch below the cold line when cold, i left it be and never had a puking issue at all, one day i topped it off the the min line on the bottle, after a few days and beating the crap out of the truck i noticed small ammounts of puking, i worried about it at first then noticed it puked enough out to where it put the level back to the half inch below the min mark and hasnt puked since... my head gaskets and cooler are fine. i work on alot of international heavy duty trucks for my job at cummins and they use the same rad cap and coolant bottle as our trucks do, obviously its alot bigger but you understand. and most all trucks i open the hood on has puking signs on the bottle and cap, especially if there filled up more than they need to be...its how the cap is designed it just looks bad cuz it makes a mess and 210 + degrees on the coolant is getting rather warm its gasses are expanding alot at those temps it has to go somewhere. just my thoughts
I agree with this. The level was a little high. When I had the oil cooler done the tech told me right up front it will most like spit some coolant if its a little over full. It did that. I just think it was still too much coolant for the added expansion from the increased temps.

HG still check out good and oil is clean so no studs yet.

Thanks guys for the feed back. Seems to be right in line with what people are seeing for temps when towing.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM

nice truck by the way, love the color
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard View Post
nice truck by the way, love the color

Spanks. Hoping to get an 05 front sooner than later. I saw one on eBay that adds 50HP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.