STC Replacement: DIY or no? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
STC Replacement: DIY or no?

My Ex has 90K miles and the oil temps were +30 to +40 over the water so based on all the great info on here I knew it was time for a new oil cooler (also got the updated turbo oil drain pipe). Local quotes were in the $1500 range and they wouldn't do an egr delete so I decided to tackle it myself. I have the up pipes and turbo off, gonna work on the intake tonight. I am feeling pretty good about my chances of success with these two items. By reading the forums it appears that I should be replacing the STC fitting on the HPOP with the screw down fitting. I got a service pack from Navastar with the new fitting but upon looking at the directions it calls for some special tools and critical measurements which has me a bit concerned. Can anybody help me out with some instructions for getting the HPOP out so the fitting can be replaced? If I can get it out I bet I can find a diesel shop to swap the fitting. Thanks for the great posts that have allowed me to get the parts and get this far with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I didn't need any special tools to do mine... If you are mechanically inclined and are careful to follow the directions, it should be DIY.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Assuming you have an '05 or newer truck, it's only a matter of removing the old pump/STC fitting as one piece, and transferring the new part on. If the fitting hasn't blown out, alignment will be pretty straightforward. If it has, I recommend starting the two 8mm bolts first, and prying the pump and fitting assembly back with a prybar GENTLY into alignment.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Assuming you have an '05 or newer truck, it's only a matter of removing the old pump/STC fitting as one piece, and transferring the new part on. If the fitting hasn't blown out, alignment will be pretty straightforward. If it has, I recommend starting the two 8mm bolts first, and prying the pump and fitting assembly back with a prybar GENTLY into alignment.
Its an 05 and as far as I know the fitting has not blown. I thought from the instructions that I needed a special tool to get the pump out. Do you guys happen to have the removal instructions?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinal View Post
Its an 05 and as far as I know the fitting has not blown. I thought from the instructions that I needed a special tool to get the pump out. Do you guys happen to have the removal instructions?
How far do you have it stripped down to? You'll need to remove the IPR valve before you can access and remove the high pressure oil pump cover (but I'm sure you already figured that one out by now).

After that, it's three TX-45 bolts and two 8mm bolts to remove the pump and fitting assembly out as one. Installation is just the exact reverse of removal with the exception that you torque the three TX-45 bolts to 23 ft-lbs. and the two 8mm branch tube connector bolts to 124 in-lbs.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the clarification. I saw in the Navistar instructions where it calls for an "Anti-rotation tool" but now I see that it looks like you only need that if you are trying to change the connector with the pump in the engine.

Not too far torn down yet, I had to cut grass this weekend but I should be able to start working on it again tomorrow night after work. Did I read in another post that it takes a special socket to get the IPR valve off? If so, where do I get one?

Here is a picture of the progress so far. The IPR valve is the item that looks like a solenoid, just to the right of the down pipe in the picture, on the top of what I assume is the cast iron HPOP cover? It has a heat shield wrapped around it.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Umm........

I hope that picture is not of YOUR engine. Because if it is, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. That picture is that of a late-build 2004 model year 6.0L with the turbo removed. Having said that, the STC fitting kit is NOT needed on this truck, nor will it fit on this truck. You did mention it as an '05 model year in your previous post.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, it is the engine in my 2005 Excursion and I do see where it says 2004 on the valve cover. So is that really bad news? Doesn't that mean I don't have to do the work to change the fitting?

The build date tag on the inside of the drivers door is 09/04, it must be an early 05 that got a left over 04 engine? Or do I have shenanigans here?

Last edited by scottinal; 06-28-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What is the tenth digit of your VIN?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is a 5, is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.