2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 and 6.4 auto transmission differences

According to the 6.4 and 6.0 bibles, the 6.4s use an 8-bolt flywheel/torque convertor set-up and the 6.0s use a 6-bolt flywheel/torque converter set-up. Also, it seems that the 6.0s TCM is integrated into the underhood ECM, while the 6.4s use a seperate TCM mounted to the frame. Other than these differences, are the transmissions interchangeable? In other words, if the transmission in my 2006 went south could I use the transmission (minus the torque converter) from a 6.4? Just curious.

Ryan
post #2 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
You either need to get a 8lug fly wheel and tc or a 6lug fly wheel and tc. You cannot missmatch the fly wheels and tc. Dependant on the year of the trannys in question will determine the differences. The tranny should work fine and bolt, and plug in though. The 6.4 has a different stall convertor so if one is better for you use that setup.

Randy
2006 f250 4x4
crewcab shortbed
lariat auto
Some tuning, gauges and other assorted non factory dodads
post #3 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You want to avoid removing your flywheel... the motor is balanced with the flywheel in place, if you use a different flywheel you will kill the balance of your motor.
post #4 of 28 Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I was just curious if Ford made any changes to the transmission itself when they went from the 6.0 to the 6.4. Since posting this topic, I have found out that the Torqshift used with the 6.4s features upgraded internals to handle the extra power that the engine puts out.

Thanks
post #5 of 28 Old 03-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a little bit old topic, but, so if a 6.0 tranny went south you could swap in a 6.4 and it could handle more power, seems pretty neat. THey also changed the pan and filter.

2011 F-250 King Ranch
post #6 of 28 Old 03-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm038 View Post
I was just curious if Ford made any changes to the transmission itself when they went from the 6.0 to the 6.4. Since posting this topic, I have found out that the Torqshift used with the 6.4s features upgraded internals to handle the extra power that the engine puts out.

Thanks
theyre the same with minor internal updates.. wont really hold "more power"
post #7 of 28 Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry to jump in Fellas ! But a Google search led me to this post and it is Great News if it's True ! I blew my 2010 trans this week ! A good friend just swapped a Cummins setup into his 05 F350 ...he has his factory trans in great shape with less then 70k miles on it . It's mine if I need it for Free! But it's an 05 and mine is 2010 ! Seeing some I'm saving A lot on the free trans I don't mind buying Few necessary parts for it ...I already figured I'd swap a fresh front pump and converter into it . My truck is already complete so I should have the correct flywheel for the converter ."is that it ??? Can I use my flywheel and correct converter for my truck on a 2005 5R110?? That would be Such a Lifesaver !! Thanks for any help !
post #8 of 28 Old 01-21-2016, 05:12 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright6.4 View Post
Sorry to jump in Fellas ! But a Google search led me to this post and it is Great News if it's True ! I blew my 2010 trans this week ! A good friend just swapped a Cummins setup into his 05 F350 ...he has his factory trans in great shape with less then 70k miles on it . It's mine if I need it for Free! But it's an 05 and mine is 2010 ! Seeing some I'm saving A lot on the free trans I don't mind buying Few necessary parts for it ...I already figured I'd swap a fresh front pump and converter into it . My truck is already complete so I should have the correct flywheel for the converter ."is that it ??? Can I use my flywheel and correct converter for my truck on a 2005 5R110?? That would be Such a Lifesaver !! Thanks for any help !
Thread revival!
Yes it's a direct swap, I wouldn't bother changing the front pump, I would get a new 6.4 converter as yours is likely contaminated from your transaction failure, the 6.4 converter will go right in the 6.0 trans.
Also your 6.4 pan and filter are better so I would put the pan and (new) filter on the 6.0 trans.

03 cclb dually,6.0,arp studs,bpd oil cooler,bpd 6 phase ficm,bpd water pump,bpd all aluminum cac,all aluminum radiator,amsoil bypass oil filter,ipr high flow coolant filter,egr delete,livewire ts tuned by Vivian & tony,php ficm tuner,dc power 300-spx,Detroit trutrac,6" dual side pipes,07 front end,custom front bumper,shaved badges,led button roof lights,08+ mirrors,12 tailgate,13 rear bumper,13 tail lights,dropped I beams,custom rear 4 link w/bags,k5la train horn,24" alcoa's.
post #9 of 28 Old 01-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Portcity you seem to be everywhere and have so much useful information. Although this thread doesnt pertain to me I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge with the rest of us! Could you possibly chime in on my thread about tires on our duallys if you have an answer?

Mike

05 DRW F350 Lariat
Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, ARP Studs, BPD EGR Cooler, Blue Spring, Cooper STT Pros 285-70/17, WARN Premium Hubs,
Suncoast Tranny Filter, MBRP Catback, Edge Insight CS, Updated Turbo Drain Tube, SCT X3 running Matts SRL, DIY Upgraded Battery Wiring, Rudy's Diesel CAC Pipes, Atlas 40, 08 Mirrors from 1A, and more to come.

post #10 of 28 Old 01-21-2016, 06:48 AM
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Wait doesnt the above post say that the fly wheels are different? So if my trans goes south, i can get another 03 tq converter and an 08-10 trans from a yard and itll work?

coolant-filter-EGR delete-blue spring-ARP's-BPD oil cooler-5in exhaust-horn blasters shocker kit-SCT running SRL++-beans tank sump-BPD water pump-and 4x4 complete
DEUS VULT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode