Airdog II Or Regulated return? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which do I need?
Regulated Return Kit 2 10.53%
Airdog II 17 89.47%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Airdog II Or Regulated return?

Well I've come to find out that after installing my 90hp injectors...#7 and #8 are throwing a contribution code...likely tied to a fuel pressure problem. My question is...should I get an AirDogII or regulated return? I'm thinking just an AirDog...but whats your input?

I currently have RCD 90hp injectors, stock turbo and canned SCT Tunes (SF2). I know I need custom tunes soon but right now I need to get this damn thing runnin right. So...regulated return or Airdog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
bumpin this up cuz I am gonna order one or the other here in the next few hours. thanks for ur help in advance!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Custom Tuning and an Airdog II with 6.4 Banjo Bolts. I've heard that regulated returns are kind of a joke on the 6oh's.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Custom Tuning and an Airdog II with 6.4 Banjo Bolts. I've heard that regulated returns are kind of a joke on the 6oh's.
I dont know that there a joke but not needed with an AD2.

On a side note how do you like the injectors?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Lt. Negativity

Not needed ???? Ok my opinion is different on this one I have a regulated returnand airdog 150, So you upgrade banjo bolts thats for the front only does nothin for the back of the heads. The whole point of opening the rear of the heads and returning from the rear is to keep a constant flow thru the heads at all times with no slack of fuel. Thats my opinion my set-up currently Ive yet to see my fuel pressure move even on the interstate.

Airdog 150 or Airdog 2 ------ What is this really doing ? one is better filtration and a lil boost to the stock pump, the airdog 2 is a standalone that replaces the factory pump. This will not solve the fuel issues inside the heads with bigger injectors. all your doing is adding a pusher pumpe behind the stock pump, or replacing the factory one.

RR or Crossover, either one of these actually opens the back of the heads and have a constant flow of fuel all the way back. and returning off the back of the heads, so opening the back is always better with bigger injectors, if the kit was useless why would vendors sell it or use it. I have no problems with mine, and i never had rear injector issues since.

Last edited by RescueF250; 06-26-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
Not needed ???? Ok my opinion is different on this one I have a regulated returnand airdog 150, So you upgrade banjo bolts thats for the front only does nothin for the back of the heads. The whole point of opening the rear of the heads and returning from the rear is to keep a constant flow thru the heads at all times with no slack of fuel. Thats my opinion my set-up currently Ive yet to see my fuel pressure move even on the interstate.
But with the AirDog 150 you are just feeding with the stock pump correct? The AirDog 2 gets rid of the factory pump all together.

But to the OP, Rescue has done this a few times, so I would heed his advice. I'm eager to hear what else he has to say. It may change my future plans...

EDIT: Rescue, I just saw where you updated your post.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Lt. Negativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
But with the AirDog 150 you are just feeding with the stock pump correct? The AirDog 2 gets rid of the factory pump all together.

But to the OP, Rescue has done this a few times, so I would heed his advice. I'm eager to hear what else he has to say. It may change my future plans...

EDIT: Rescue, I just saw where you updated your post.
Yes my Airdog feeds the stock pump I rather have that honestly, cause if the airdog fails I can still hook back up my stock pump, if the AD2 fails your out of luck where ever you are. So I went a different route, nothing is wrong with the stock pump it can handle find up to 190's I ran 190cc injectors from Full Force Diesel on a stock pump just fine for 2.5 yrs no issues or fuel pressure issue. Im still on a original stock pump 7 yrs later. Airdog 2 is a nice set-up but there is nothing wrong with the stock pump in the end and getting a pusher to it.

Look in the photo this is my motor, see the hard line in the back of the heads ? that is what a RR is opening the back of the heads, it no longer returns the the stock fuel bowl, its returned to the regulator.

Last edited by RescueF250; 06-26-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes my Airdog feeds the stock pump I rather have that honestly, cause if the airdog fails I can still hook back up my stock pump, if the AD2 fails your out of luck where ever you are. So I went a different route, nothing is wrong with the stock pump it can handle find up to 190's I ran 190cc injectors from Full Force Diesel on a stock pump just fine for 2.5 yrs no issues or fuel pressure issue. Im still on a original stock pump 7 yrs later. Airdog 2 is a nice set-up but there is nothing wrong with the stock pump in the end and getting a pusher to it.
With the crappy diesel quality here in Alabama, I am probably going to go with the Airdog 150 and the RR like you have. I have had my water in fuel light come on multiple times, and if I run my truck too far past a 1/4 of a tank it will begin clogging the fuel filter, quick. I was left stranded 500 miles after I installed new fuel filters because I ran it past a 1/4 of a tank on a NAPA filter (I use all Motorcraft filters now)

So since the AirDog 150 feeds the stock pump, it will be filtered 3 times now? (AirDog, frame mount, and engine mount) And doesn't the AirDog have a specific filter for water? As crappy as the fuel is here, I want as much filtration a possible to keep my injectors alive.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Lt. Negativity

Yup 3 times, you probably wont have to worry about anything else, get yourself a sump pump while your at it. nothing wrong with better filtration youll just be getting raw fuel, im gonna go 20k and check the fuel filter to see how bad they look if they are good im not gonna change them, yes the airdog has a filter for water.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Look in the photo this is my motor, see the hard line in the back of the heads ? that is what a RR is opening the back of the heads, it no longer returns the the stock fuel bowl, its returned to the regulator.
Ahhhh I see now. How hard is it to install with the cab on?

Very pretty motor, btw.

Quote:
Yup 3 times, you probably wont have to worry about anything else, get yourself a sump pump while your at it. nothing wrong with better filtration youll just be getting raw fuel, im gonna go 20k and check the fuel filter to see how bad they look if they are good im not gonna change them, yes the airdog has a filter for water.
Thanks a lot man, you've really opened my eyes to the 6.oh's fuel system! Don't get me started on the HEUI system though!

And what is a sump pump? Excuse my ignorance, it's past my bedtime.

And would the 6.4 Banjo Bolts be a good upgrade with the RR and AD 150 as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.