Where to connect oil lines for aftermarket oil cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to connect oil lines for aftermarket oil cooler

hi fellas I'm wanting to install an oil cooler besides the stock one. sometime soon i'll probably jerk the egr out cause it's giving me insuficent flow codes . I'll rebuild the stock oil cooler at the same time. But I would like to install a second cooler but I'm not going to spend alot of money doing so. Any help and sugestions would be great . thanks raffter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get a billet oil cap and oil filler cap. Run the lines to your oil cooler...done deal.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Lt. Negativity

Heres the deal about that if you dont know exactly what your doing your gonna run into problems. The stock system you really dont have a way to hook in another oil cooler, myself, Doug at Gogo and another member from the Nation are discussing this right now and using ideas, its not as simple as just throwing in a cooler and adding lines, you have to figure flow, restriction issues, oil pressure, If you restrict flow your gonna have issues, then finding a correct cooler to operate this and thermostat, as filter assembly, your not gonna be able just to use a cap off the stock filter housing. Believe me it takes plan and parts etc.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:08 PM
N.S.D.Q.

It's only as complicated as you want to make it. Keep it simple!!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

What year truck? I'll try to help you.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did what Heavyassault is talking about. I have a line coming from the oil cap to my fs-2500 and then I have a cooler mounted just behind the grill and then It dumps back into the oil fill. I kept track of the temps when I first installed it. I should have done before and after temps. So I really dont know if It is helping The oil temps average 6* cooler than the coolant. I dont keep the oil temp guage hooked all of the time (to many guages) only when I want to check the differences between the coolant and the oil.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM

truck is a 04 with 03 international motor.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffterman View Post
truck is a 04 with 03 international motor.
Here are some links to some AMSOIL customer's installation. Not how you have to do it. 6.0 right?

AMSOIL.com - By-Pass Oil Filter: 2003 Ford F250 4X4 6.0L. PowerStroke Turbo Diesel

AMSOIL.com - By-Pass Oil Filter: 2004 Ford 6.0 L Powerstroke Diesel

AMSOIL.com - By-Pass Oil Filter: 2004 Ford F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/....0L_Diesel.pdf

Hope these help. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 AM

I see Amsoil sells the caps. Does anybody else sell them? And a 1/8 inch hole doesent allow for much flow, has anybody tried drilling them out a little or that might drop the pressure to much. And what is the cost on those caps? Thanks raffter
Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Get a billet oil cap and oil filler cap. Run the lines to your oil cooler...done deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueF250 View Post
Heres the deal about that if you dont know exactly what your doing your gonna run into problems. The stock system you really dont have a way to hook in another oil cooler, myself, Doug at Gogo and another member from the Nation are discussing this right now and using ideas, its not as simple as just throwing in a cooler and adding lines, you have to figure flow, restriction issues, oil pressure, If you restrict flow your gonna have issues, then finding a correct cooler to operate this and thermostat, as filter assembly, your not gonna be able just to use a cap off the stock filter housing. Believe me it takes plan and parts etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
It's only as complicated as you want to make it. Keep it simple!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffterman View Post
I see Amsoil sells the caps. Does anybody else sell them? And a 1/8 inch hole doesent allow for much flow, has anybody tried drilling them out a little or that might drop the pressure to much. And what is the cost on those caps? Thanks raffter
So you can see some of the issues that Rescue was taking about. The billet cap has a 1/8 npt hole and is designed for a bypass oil filter. Using that to feed an oil cooler is like using a straw to divert the water from a fire hose to fill your swimming pool. There are lots of things to consider here just like Rescue said. Do you have a problem with your current oil temps? If not leave it alone or be prepared to invest some $$$. If you do it wrong it could cost you your motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.