Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wrench for Oil and FuelFilter housings

12K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Clay Henry 
#1 ·
Is there a special wrench for this OR just use an open-end or socket that fits??

I thought reading somewhere that the Fuel Filter housing underneath the drivers side of truck was very tight access and a special wrench was needed in order to replace that filter??

THANKS!

#2 ·
The oil filter and the fuel filter on the frame rail are a 36mm. I don't remember what size the secondary fuel filter is though. I use a 36mm socket, but I suppose you could use a wrench

#3 ·
The oil filter and primary fuel filter both use a 36mm socket. I got mine on
e-bay for like $9.00 shipped.

You are going to want to get a socket to do this as you need to torque them to a particular setting and an open ended wrech (even if you has that size:crazy:) would not work.

Torque settings
Primary Fuel filter and Oil Filter 19 ft lb

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
The other one is a 22 or 24 mm socket. Cant remember which for sure.

Wrench works fine as well. I just use the socket and a 1 foot extension for the fuel filter

#5 ·
Secondary Filter housing uses a 15/16 socket

#8 ·
No its Metric.15/16 fits but its loose

#6 · (Edited)
You can also use a 1/2 drive extension in the square opening of the secondary fuel filter. Thats what i use. :wink[3]:

#7 ·
awesome info. just ordered the shallow depth oil filter wrench off of eBay for $7 plus shipping and have a good excuse to get some new sockets!!!

THANKS!

#10 ·
Do not and I repeat do not use the square end to pull the upper fuel filter off it will crack and cause a lot of grief. Not a if but a when. Upper fuel filter is a 24mm. Lower fuel filter is 36mm. I had the socket because coincidentally it is the same size as the front nut on a 88-98 chevy front cv axle. Autozone sells the socket cheap and will or would even rent that socket. You can go about it a few ways on a 4x4 truck. Either get some long extentions and get past the tcase skid or use a ujoint and put it on the socket then a long ext or a very small ext like 1"-2" and then just work between the drive shaft and the frame. Either way kind of a pita. I did them yester day with the ujoint. Took me about 30mins.

#13 ·
I agree...I went to change my filters for the first time (dealer did my fuel filters 1st time I had them done) Did the bottom (primary), went to do the top and it was cracked. Did not want to chance making it worse as I was leaving the next day on a long drive, got a new one.

#15 ·
I have the Snap-on flip socket for mine and it's great. Like said above be sure to use the correct sockets or you'll crack the filter casing. Steve

#17 ·
#18 ·
By the way, that $47.95 is for both filters and o rings. Everything you need. The new part # is FD-4614. :)

#19 · (Edited)
Ryan. the Snap-on 2 sided socket for the 6.0 is around $30.00. The oil capacity with a Motorcraft filter is 15.0 quarts. There is a abundance of opinions on oils just read the forums and make your choice based on your budget and what make you fell good. Synthetic vs Dino oils. Good Luck....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.