Help me out want to buy a 6.0 need answers!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me out want to buy a 6.0 need answers!!!

Hey guys been searching the site for a few question over the last month and decide to join finally. So I know this has been covered somewhere, but I started to look at the 6.4 but they are pretty expensive and then started my search towards the 6.0 2006 to 2007 years. I have seen a lot of bad things said about the 6.0 but have also seen a lot of fixes for them. Please help me out, I like just about everything on the F250 but the 6.0 problems are not sitting with me well. Here are a few questions I need answer to help me get started on my way. Thanks in advance guys?

What is the most important thing to fix on the 6.0 first?

How are the Trans on the 06/07 years are they better or worst then the Chevy or Dodge?

What MPG’s are you guys getting with stock or bigger tires?

What is the best turner out there for the 6.0?

Once again thanks guys, I have been a Chevy guy forever but think it time for a Ford Change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The most important things to fix are the egr and the heads. the heads may be good but they may also not be flat and need to be machined if possible or replaced. some people run them until they blow and they upgrade to head studs. the transmissions on our trucks are awesome. some stock ones are holding over 500 rwhp. on 35 inch tires i can get 20-21 on the high way. they best way to get great mpgs is to stay under 2k rpms. Sct with custom tunes is the only way to go on a 6.0 IMO but im sure pretty much every one else on here will tell you the exact same things. hope you can find a good truck!
oh and
Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Chapter Director

first thing you should take care of if egr delete, if you do that it will help get you a little farther before you have to do head studs but if you can afford you should go a head and take care of it so you dont have to worry about it later. as said before SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go people are getting 22-23 mpg with that. i am stock for now and on 36" tires and can get 17mpg on highway. trans i have heard if taken care of is better than the allison how true i don't know but still trans is awesome, you'll love engine braking in tow/haul. if you tow much you might want to consider exhuast and intake to help egts but not needed.

Just throwing it out there i love my 6.0 and wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a 6.4 but i don't have money for one so.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah everyone will agree that the egr cooler is a problem with the 6.0. If you don't have to go through emissions testing get a egr delete kit and just make it go away. If you can't do that get a Bulletproof egr cooler to replace the factory cooler.

The oil coolers tend to clog up on these so a coolant filter from somebody like Diesel Site is a good idea.

You need to put something in to monitor what's going on and I recommend the Edge Insight (or the new Insight CTS) for that. It is easy to install (hooks up to OBDII port) and will display all functions monitored by the computer. It is especially important to watch the ECT and EOT (coolant and oil temps) since this will let you know if your oil cooler is clogging before you rupture the egr cooler or blow head gaskets.

Yeah the head gaskets may be an issue but if you are watching your ECT and EOT it'll go a long way towards keeping them healthy. If they need replacing that is the time to install ARP head studs and send the heads out to make sure they are flat.

For tunes the SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go.

For mileage a lot depends on your right foot. Mine has a mind of its own and refuses to listen to me so my mileage sucks but the grin factor is huge.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 AM

Is the EGR cooler something that is a smiple project or do u have to take alot of stuff apart?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDiezel View Post
Is the EGR cooler something that is a smiple project or do u have to take alot of stuff apart?
It's not overly easy to get to,; but, if you are handy with tools and have TIME it's not a difficult project at all really. If you are rushed it might be a pain. It would make a nice weekend project.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I say go for it!!! I love mine.

I'm runnin' a SCT with a mild custom tune and get 17-20mpg. I've driven nothing but 7.3L's in the past and the power of the 6.0L (with a tune) will amaze you.

I'm mostly stock for now, but saving up for all the fixes: EGR delete, studs and a coolant filter, all coming soon.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
get a 7.3 and dump money in that.it will out last your grandkids,thats not opinion,.....thats a fact
Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 AM

Well I just bought my 06 6.0 and so far I love it. I too get nervous with all that I read on this forum regarding problems. I opted for an extended warranty so Im covered for quite sometime. By then I will be up to speed on all technical stuff and know my truck alot better. Good luck.

What is the most important thing to fix on the 6.0 first? I hear the EGR stuff..

How are the Trans on the 06/07 years are they better or worst then the Chevy or Dodge? I love the tow/haul mode engine braking while towing my camper.

What MPG’s are you guys getting with stock or bigger tires? Stock tires = 15 towing and 17ish city/highway.

What is the best turner out there for the 6.0? I have heard the EDGE products are the best.

Just my .02 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.