6.0 Water Pump GPM / How to Test and Replace - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Water Pump GPM / How to Test and Replace

I recently made a post about VC-9 and how well it cleaned the entire system. The nearly new Oil Cooler is working much better after flushing 9 times before the water was clear. One problem that didn't go away is the ECT has a sort of wave effect ( 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 etc on up to 215) or more and come back down own its own. Sometimes hitting the 220 mark causing the fan to run. This condition occurs under constant load (15lbs boost), steady speed (65 mph), roughly 2400 rpm (4.88 Dana S110). I must also note that the truck is slightly modified. No Cat, No Muffler, Welded up EGR Cooler. Also my empty weight truck and trailer is 18,900 lbs. The load I took to Winnie, TX this morning weighed roughly 11,000 lbs. GVCW 29,900lbs.
When I returned home, I measured the water flow for 5 minutes using a spare 3/8" hose hooked to the EGR return to reservoir tank.
Work Truck - 5:00 min - 2.0 quarts coolant / Personal Truck - 5:00min - 3.5 quarts coolant.
I'm sure I'm answering my own question, but it looks like I need a water pump.
Does anyone know the proper way to test the water pump? I've looked for a tutorial or how to change the pump on powerstroke.org and cant find anything. Maybe someone has a link or some first hand knowledge and willing to share. Or do you just dive in the fan clutch with a 2X4 a pipe wrench and cheater bar?

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Photo0114.jpg

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Photo0115.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 AM

Come on Guys, I know someone out there is an expert on the 6.0 cooling system...
Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 AM

I doubt that anyone has flow information from a port. When questioned the mechanics so far have said that the only test is to remove it and check the impeller.

But the EGR return may not be the best place to check the water pump as I would expect it's flow to be dependent on the condition of the cooler. The heater supply line may be a better indicator of the water pumps output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.