Themostat question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Themostat question

Has anybody considered or swapped out the focatory 190-215 deg themostat with a unit that will full open around the 190-200 deg range. If so could you throw me the part number info.

2006 6.0 PS,CC,LB,4X4, NO MODS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Why?

might i ask why? unless yours is running hot or you are pulling nonstop, its not in your best interest to lower the engine temperature. On a gas engine, it has a spark plug to fire the mixture. On a diesel engine it fires thru heat and compression, and when cooler then normal it will smoke, and not burn the fuel all the way.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ask away. I pull a 13,00 pound trailer and it is not uncommon for my temps to hit 220-225. From what I have read 230 is the point you need to worry.
My thoughts are that the trucks run around all day at 190 under normal driving and the stock thermostat starts to open at 192 and is supposed to full open at 215. So I cant think of a reason that having a unit that will full open at 190 or 200 should hurt anything, but just the opposite.
It is also my understanding that the reason Ford installed the 190-215 unit was for smog purposes. The hotter the engine runs the less polutant they put out.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

IN your case you may benefit by having a cooler thermostat, but with the load you are pulling, it probably wont help a whole lot....

Your thermostat is fully open, and your still hitting 225, all a cooler thermostat will do is allow it to stay cooler at the start of your run or pulling.

And around town, you will run alot cooler....

Yes i sure the thermostat is part of the bigger picture when it comes to emissions, but you cant deny the fact that, you need heat for a diesel to run properly, and most efficiently...
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bumping it up for another try
Old 06-23-2010, 02:14 AM

I replaced my thermostat this past winter. It would never close, so the engine never warmed up. It ran like crap. I replaced it with one from Advance Auto. The information with the Thermostat said it was a 192 degree thermostat. It works fine in my 2004 F350 6.0L. Here's the info on the one I bought.

Thermostat by Stant - Part 14899 - Advance Auto Parts
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM

I would also like to know if there is an replacement thermostat that could fully open at 200 deg. My truck pulls a 40ft gooseneck everyday of its life. Why should the motor have to wait til 215 to get full radiator flow. Emissions BS if you ask me. With all the Diesel Sites out there, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up the the option yet, but I haven't been able to find it yet either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.