MPG questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG questions

One of our work trucks is a 2005 f250 cc lb xlt. bone stock the computer says im getting 12 mpg daily driving around town. With my 12,000 5th wheel it says 8MPG when the trailer is empty. i recently ran into a friend who had purchased a used 6.0l as well, his computer daily driving says hes getting 18-20 and 12-15 towing, whats the deal. both trucks almost identical except for trim. no mods to either one of them. where do i start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
One of the first things to check are the Fuel Filters, Boost, and Fuel Pressure.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

One of the things you want to take a very close look at is which calibrations each truck is running. ECM and FICM strategies can play a HUGE role in both performance and fuel economy, with later strategies often causing vehicles to achieve significantly lower economy than earlier strategies.

Then there's all the usually mechanical stuff... Gears, tire size, load, etc.

Take care.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The driver can make a big difference. Also, are they both running the same route or one more highway? The factory Lie-o-meter isn't the best either, you really need to hand calculate over several tanks to get the real numbers.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
The driver can make a big difference. Also, are they both running the same route or one more highway? The factory Lie-o-meter isn't the best either, you really need to hand calculate over several tanks to get the real numbers.
Absolutely! Hand calculated is the ONLY way to go.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

CHECK YOUR AIR FILTER!

I bought my truck used and had the fuel filters and synthetic oil changed....I still got like 12 mpg no matter if I beat on it everyday or if I drove like my 70 year old grandpa...

Changed the air filter and I took a long trip this week and averaged about 15.8mpg (hand calculated).

Over 3mpg increase just using a clean air filter...
Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97hd View Post
One of our work trucks is a 2005 f250 cc lb xlt. bone stock the computer says im getting 12 mpg daily driving around town. With my 12,000 5th wheel it says 8MPG when the trailer is empty. i recently ran into a friend who had purchased a used 6.0l as well, his computer daily driving says hes getting 18-20 and 12-15 towing, whats the deal. both trucks almost identical except for trim. no mods to either one of them. where do i start?
Well I can tell you this…..your lie-o-meter is closer than your friends. How much weight is he towing while getting 12 – 15 mpg.. If you really want to know what fuel mileage you are getting…hand calculate for a more accurate answer.

With my 2006 6.0… I can get 19-21 mpg… driving 50 or 55 mph on flat terrain. More realistically…. I get 16.0 – 18.0 mpg driving nothing over 65 mph…. and that’s with the 4.30. City driving… 12 mpg sounds okay to me. Towing 12,000 lbs….. 8 mpg would sound right if you are towing grade. I average around 9.0 – 10.0 mpg towing 68 mph.

Yes…. driving habits will dictate the end results of your fuel mileage...
Old 06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks fo all your help. all filters and oil are regularly changed. and pretty much the same route. as for towing weights usually only around 10000 lbs plus the trailer, whatever it weighs. in regards to which calibrations the truck is running, i have no idea. what those Abrivations mean or how i could figure it out. i am new to these 6.0l, id take my 7.3 anyday, although i must admit these new trucks drive nice. after asking around today to some other 6.0 drivers it seems most people average around 15mpg hand calculated around town. so i suppose my towing numbers arn't to far off. there will be some mods soon to come, any recomendations?, both trucks are daily driven and tow daily and need to keep all their street manners, but still stay safe with 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.