Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

RevX Oil Treatment -- 1st use

31K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Shooter04 
#1 ·
Had the first oil change on my new-to-me F250, with 45k. All Motorcraft lubes, and added RevX oil treatment w/ Stanadyne fuel treatment.

Stay tuned w/ results :)

#2 ·
You will be extremely happy with the results:thumb:

#3 · (Edited)
This product is the bomb for us PSD owners I was going to try HOT-Shot -Secret I don't know anything about it I think it is more a lubricating flush persay than a super/lube/cleaner like REV-X appears to be I fought power isssues related to crap in my oil from extended oil chages 5-7 k in Rotella and DelVac NEVER AGAIN will I run that oil in anything I think it's no better than castrol-gtx 10w30 lol anyway I fixed in 1 day and 100 miles of driving what I had been fighting for 6 mos.

This is my story I don't care who you buy it from IT WORKS PERIOD....

I am going to run REV-X in conjunction with AMSOIL on a 15,000 drain interval with a new filter at 7,500 miles using their 1 micron filters and see what happens if I don't see good results / cleaner oil longer I will probably switch to schaffers which I hear is like AMSOIL with REV-X already in it ! For the same price as Amsoil...

Read my thread I cannot say enough about the product .... I am running my last oil change with Rotella-T till 3,000 then I am doing a complete flush of the Rotella-T which BTW you must remove completely when you switch to a full synthetic it is the number one reason why people complain of sludge in our engines after switching to synthetic the 3 quarts of oil that stays in the HPOP it's resivor and the high pressure lines as well as each head is directly responsible for turning to sludge it will not withstand the extended drain interval inside the crankcase with the amsoil or schaffer's or whatever you pick, not getting into a synthetic choice argument just explaining why people will say it sludges it does not sludge the Dino oil you leave in the system will shear/breakdown/burn and turn to sludge whereas the synthetic will hold up alot better over the extended drain intervals that synthetics offer powerstroke owners not to mention the low temperature pour points ect ect ...the main key is to get as much of the dino oil out of the engine to minimize sludge formation any that is left after you purge the HPOP system will come out at the first oil change after you switch from then on your in the clear.

To purge the dino oil out .......

1.Drain all the oil in the pan and then replace the plug.

2.Remove filter and fill up new flter befor eyou spin on with synthetic.

3.Use a suction device of your choosing to suck as much oil out of the HPOP resivor as you can get.

4. Refill HPOP resivor with new synthetic oil and replace fill inspection plug.

5.Remove oil galley plugs at the back of each head and insert a hudralic adapter I have it written down someplace few bucks for two and that adapts to a #4 JIC hydrulaic fitting you then run a thin 3/8 hydrualic line from each head to a bucket ....you crank then engine in say 5 to 10 second bursts giving a minute or two for cooldown so you don't smoke your starter motor until you see fresh new clean synthetic oil pumping out of the hoses.

6.Take off hoses replace plugs in the heads and dump remaining oil into the motor your done.

7. Enjoy extended oil changes/cleaner oil / peace of mind/ less wear on your motor /easy cranking in the winter the list goes on.

8.Now add REV-X to complete the package and see how your truck runs and watch your mileage improve :)

The 7.3 motor costs probably 8,000 to replace/rebuild even if you do it yourself don't you think it deserves a better level of oil and addatives to protect your investment?

A new PSD is 57,000 in my town dually is 65,000 decked out .....I'll keep my 7.3 it's almost paid for :)

#5 ·
Absolutely no need to drain and flush the HPOP

#6 ·
ill be honest... i used it for one oil change and didnt notice a difference... not saying it dont work.. but i didnt notice anything... wonder if they would let me try it again for free :D

#7 ·
scott...so are the 6.0's or 7.3's sludge monsters? I ask because this is the first time I have EVER heard that!

I hate to be a kill joy but, that long post smells like some stuff I have read on other sites. The posters finally admitted to being paid in one form or another by the products maker(free product, oil and sometimes cash), to loudly endorse their product on all of the forums they could.
What smells the worst in this post is the part about switching from dino to synthetic causing sludge. All the oil makers websites I have gone to, state in their faq section that mixing dino with synthetics will cause no harm to the oil or engine.

I am not going against rev-x but more the way it was posted in this thread, like I said earlier it just doesn't "smell" right.

#8 ·
To Defend REV-X i ill say that everyone i have spoken to says it worked great for them... i may just be that one bad apple that it didnt do anything for me. When i have the shop that does all my work First Coast Diesel Performance tell me personally that they have also heard nothing but good things about it i tend to believe them.

*disclaimer* at the time i added the rev x i also did my egr delete, new oil cooler and installed a mildly tuned FICM... so it may have done something for my truck BUT with all those changes coming at the same time i may not have noticed it.

#9 ·
None of the guys you here saying how well it works were paid by the company.

Tim Scherer a member here and on several other forums organized a test group of us. We all had stiction issues. We all were given 2 4oz bottles of RevX for free in exchange for posting results.

#10 ·
I just had some issues with the long post, not the product.
Please show me a place where either the 7.3 or 6.0 is a motor that is prone to sludge. That is my biggest complaint. Also that mixing dino and syn oils cause sludge!
If it is open knowledge that the product is/was given away free to post honest results that is fine.
The example I am speaking of, the posters would fight to the death to defend the product if a person said it didn't work as advertised.

#11 ·
The 6.0 injector spool valve is the main issue. It doesnt take much of any gunk to cause a spool valve to stick

#14 ·
that combined with the exteamely small weep hole which does not allow the oil to circulate and be replaced with fresher oil very quickly. the 7.3 injectors had better oil circulation and did not have this problem.

#12 ·
I too had no luck with Rev-x but i'm using it along with Rotalla syn. tonight ill pick up some schaeffers on the way home and see if that helps anything and possibly buy 2 m ore bottles of rev-x. I hope it helps with different oil. I was switching oil anyway and going with a bypass oil filter to extend change intervals hopefully.

#13 ·
Out of everyone I know thats tried Rev X and thats probably 50 or more people. Theres only one I know that it didnt help. And I have a feeling his injector issues arent on the oil side

#18 ·
you talking about me? I just read another post where it didn't work for someone so I aint the only one. And it did work for a little while so that tells me it is on the oil side. What makes you think otherwise?

#16 ·
I may try this product but cannot find it in my neck of the woods.

#17 ·
Filtrations got nothin to do with it

#19 ·
Its got eveything to do with it.
Its no secret to anyone whos worth their salt that dirty oil is in fact the worst thing for injectors other than poor fuel quality (water)

#20 ·
My truck developed a miss at idle up to about 2000 rpm after i did an egr delete and rebuilt my oil cooler, so i got 2 bottles of rev-x yesterday, put it in and ran it for about a half hour and drove it for about 10-15 miles and unfortunately my miss did not go away, yet anyway i sure hope it does its magic and fixes it up. Ill keep you guys posted.

#21 ·
All I can say is it works anyone have any questions PM me we can talk on the phone I don't claim to understand the product I just know what it did for me and I was amazed the guy who sold me mine said he only makes 6.00 a bottle markup ...and he makes more money selling injectors ...btu it's morally wrong to sell injectors to someone who can have his fixed and protected for 66.00 this is the kind of person that america lacks someone who puts doing the right thing ahead of profits~!

#24 · (Edited)
Here's my opinion on Rev-X...

For several years now we've been offering modified FICM strategies in order to help restore the lost performance and fuel economy of 6.0L's that have been reflashed by the dealerships. You've heard the story 1000 times... Someone goes to the dealer for something and drives off the lot immediately knowing there's a problem. Performance is down and after driving for a while, they notice fuel economy is down as well.

The other problem is that Ford has been using inductive heating strategies for 3-4 years now, as a means to resolve the "cold start" issues caused by injector stiction. The original, aggressive strategy works by superheating the spool valve which loosens the oil. This had the unfortunate side effect of damaging some of the solder joints (and in extreme cases, circuit board traces) in the FICM and eventually caused voltage drop and no-starts. Later FICM strategies have a milder inductive heating strategy which draws only about 15 amps, instead of close to 30 amps.

We originally started using non-inductive strategies for updates because they would help prevent the hardware issues caused by the inductive heating strategies. Of course, this would occasionally have the nasty side effect of (re)introducing a cold start issue on vehicles, particularly those in cold climates. This forced us to develop the hybrid strategies which still used inductive heating (the later, mild strategy) and blend in the performance characteristics of the earlier strategies.

Our goal would be to not have to use inductive heating at all, but spool valve stiction is a very real problem and too many trucks simply will not function at all without the use of some form of inductive heating.

With that said, we have been following the Rev-X posts very closely because of the claims by many forum members of the immediately noticeable improvements in starting and drivablility on their 6.0L. Several of our FICM customers have used Rev-X and noticed similar improvements. Here is an example:

One customer had just recently converted his FICM to one of our calibrations. He originally tried the non-inductive strategy, which immediately was apparent that it would not work as the truck would barely run when cold. Switching to the mild inductive heating strategy offered a mild improvement, but he was STILL having problems starting and running when cold. He ended up returning to the original inductive heating strategy until we could build him a custom FICM program. We were in the process of building a strategy to include the aggressive inductive heating when he contacted me to give me an update. He said that despite the protests of his father that Rev-X was "Snake Oil" and a waste of money, he bought 2 bottles and poured it in his truck. No oil change... just straight in. After 15 minutes of running, he already noticed a change in the sound of the engine, which appeared to be noticeably smoother. He reprogrammed his FICM back to the non-inductive strategy and noticed that his truck ran considerably better, but still had some minor cold issues. Switching to the mild inductive heating strategy, the truck ran perfectly with no cold issues at all. This is the calibration he's chosen to stick with.

Time and time again, Rev-X has shown to be everything the manufacturer has claimed and every single customer of our that has used it has noticed immediate benefits, particularly in conjunction with our FICM strategies. I'm still waiting for mileage reports from customers, but all indications are that with smoother injector operation, there has been a noticeable improvement in fuel economy.

I would say to the one individual that didn't notice any improvements when running Rev-X, your injectors may not have been a significant problem so Rev-X didn't provide you with any real benefit. You may find that changing your FICM and/or ECM strategies might provide a much better benefit to performance and fuel economy.

To date we've had about 2 dozen customers (that I'm aware of) that have run Rev-X, with and without our programming, and every single one of them has had a positive experience. I don't recommend very many things as I am an extremely skeptical person by nature, but the number of positive experiences by customers is overwhelming.

I hope this information is helpful. :)

#28 ·
:thumb:
i agree

#32 ·
OK for everyone here who thinks I'm peddling REV-X or Amsoil I'm not I have had MEGA issues with my truck for the last 2 or 3 years related to power and mileage ...ok so last night I got my truck back together after cleaning the intercooler and oil cooler and completey purging al the old oil out within reason...

Just so everyone knows there is about a gallon of oil that is trapped inside your engine every time you do an oil change NOT GOOD ....especially if your running extended oil changes :( like I just started with amsoil first time user ....

I definitely feel REV-X will scrub the inside of your engine and lube it better I did the first treatment and it really felt like it ran smoother now for fuel efficiency I will be going to the upper penninsula of michighan for the forth and I plan on adding REV-X right before we go on this new batch of amsoil I want to drive my truck for a week or so with just the amsoil in to see how the truck will behave I have had mega issues with either rotella foaming up in my crankcase which makes the truck run weak due to low ICP IE air in the oil ....

I found something while cleaning and backflushing my oil cooler that leads me to believe that a mechanical part may have been directly responsible for my oil airating if what I believe is true many other powerstroke owners may have the same issue right now and may not even know it and it is mega bad for the engine!

I believe the spring in the oil filter bypass valve had gotten weak in my truck over time due to to the heat cycles of the engine and myave leaving a dirty filter in my truck too long ie over 3,000 with rotella ...so the dirtier the filter the more backpressure on the valve cuasing it to stay open becuase thats what it's designed to do in the event of an oil filter failing or being really dirty ....

So if this valve stays open once you develope oil pressure then not only are you not filtering your oil completely trash can get sucked up and pushed around your engine SUPER BAD ...lifters...injectors...ect our engines oil is it's lifeblood .....I also believe this problem can cuase the oil to airate becuase if the oil runs through the lubrication system too fast just like water through any type of conduit like an engine oil galley ect it will airate and foam up with kills your power due to air being in the oil reaching the injectors if the test for a broken oil pickup is to run the engine wide open for 3 minutes and see if the ICP pressure goes up then when oil airates it actually looks like good ICP pressure when it does but in theory oil does not compress and air does so when this air gets up into the HPOP and out into the injectors it cuases weak fuel pulses ie low pressure /low volume which cuaes lack of power/torque exactly what I have been experiencing.

I will keep everyone posted on how the amsoil/rev-x combo works I am not pushing either just saying both helped I am probably switching to scaffers becuase I have heard nothing but good things about it seems it a synthetic which already has some super lube in it which saves 66.00 for the rev-x in the oil that you have to add...

I am copying some of this to it's own thread...

#35 ·
do we really want to argue about shear ? or if rev-x is a good product ???

as far as engine oil goes I may be biased becuase for some time I have basically not had an oil filter which made my oil get black really fast and let trash build up inside my engine...over the last say 30,000 miles which screwed with my hpop and injectors .....I am intrested in helping myself and others avoid the pitfalls of owning this type of vehicle I guess :"(

#36 ·
So you are mad at the truck because you didnt run the proper oil filter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.