How is the 6.0l Manuel trans.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How is the 6.0l Manuel trans..

So im lookin at a pickup with a manual trans a 2004 6.0l how are these trans i know the auto is awesome just not much out there on the ole stick.

Thanks fellas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I will be swapping one in my truck when its paid off, if that tells you anything. I hear from the few that have them, and they love em . Pick it up, just know that your resale value will go in the toilet
Old 06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

[QUOTE=2006PSDSD;1941365]I will be swapping one in my truck when its paid off, if that tells you anything. I hear from the few that have them, and they love em . Pick it up, just know that your resale value will go in the toilet[/QUOTE/]
Ya there is just no info on them, really wierd. Not worried about resale. Ill just stress when it comes time.
Do you know what there rated HP wise or what breaks in them?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:21 PM

Don't know what the tranny is rated for HP wise, but I have heard that they are hard to break. The only issue I know of, and Ford has a TSB for, is the fluid level. When the tranny is filled, it needs to have the tires on the side where the fill hole is, up on a 4x4 to give the truck a lean, so that you can add more fluid than you would if it were level. Like you said, there isn't much info out there on them, but I have never heard of a problem :dunno
Old 06-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Don't know what the tranny is rated for HP wise, but I have heard that they are hard to break. The only issue I know of, and Ford has a TSB for, is the fluid level. When the tranny is filled, it needs to have the tires on the side where the fill hole is, up on a 4x4 to give the truck a lean, so that you can add more fluid than you would if it were level. Like you said, there isn't much info out there on them, but I have never heard of a problem :dunno
Huh only thing ive heard too is its hard to break...Which i like! thats funny about the fluid hopefully well see.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 PM

I wish mine had one, that's why I'm gonna swap one in
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Those of you intending on purchasing one with the expectation that it will be more powerful than the automatic versions may end up disappointed. As a Ford dealer tech, wrenching on the thousands of 6.0s that I have, I can tell you first hand that the manual transmission versions aren't all that exciting as one would expect. I can also tell you that they are pricey to replace a clutch on, when you factor in the cost of a replacement solid flywheel (to replace the garbage dual-mass units) that is needed. As far as HP and torque, I believe they are rated the same as an automatic. However, due to the fact that the first two ratios are very low and the lack of a torque converter, acceleration off the line feels a lot slower than an automatic to me. I base this opinion on the SEVERAL 6.0L auto trucks I have had for weekends, compared to the couple manual trucks I have had.

To the poster intending on swapping out his auto for a manual, be advised that the two engines use completely different bellhousing bolt patterns, which mandates replacement of the rear engine cover. They also use different PCMs, since the manual version lacks a TCM (and the 3rd connector location blocked out). This is not taking into account, the difference in driveshaft lengths, pedal assembly as well as the hydraulic clutch system needed. That said, the amount of work required will be extensive.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Those of you intending on purchasing one with the expectation that it will be more powerful than the automatic versions may end up disappointed. As a Ford dealer tech, wrenching on the thousands of 6.0s that I have, I can tell you first hand that the manual transmission versions aren't all that exciting as one would expect. I can also tell you that they are pricey to replace a clutch on, when you factor in the cost of a replacement solid flywheel (to replace the garbage dual-mass units) that is needed. As far as HP and torque, I believe they are rated the same as an automatic. However, due to the fact that the first two ratios are very low and the lack of a torque converter, acceleration off the line feels a lot slower than an automatic to me. I base this opinion on the SEVERAL 6.0L auto trucks I have had for weekends, compared to the couple manual trucks I have had.

To the poster intending on swapping out his auto for a manual, be advised that the two engines use completely different bellhousing bolt patterns, which mandates replacement of the rear engine cover. They also use different PCMs, since the manual version lacks a TCM (and the 3rd connector location blocked out). This is not taking into account, the difference in driveshaft lengths, pedal assembly as well as the hydraulic clutch system needed. That said, the amount of work required will be extensive.
Not really wanting for speed i dont go to the track or truck pull i want reliability and to pick what gear i want to be in with ease.. Awesome info the most i would do is put a sct on and street drive. Ive gotten my share of racin tickets and dont want more.
the clutch should hold up fine for that right????
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My 6 speed is a dog at low rpms, of course I have a 7.3. I just ordered a PHP chip to help combat that, but I understand its not going to get rid of it all. Diesels just like autos at low speeds. I love my manual though, wouldn't own an auto.

I wouldn't necessarily say the resale value would go in the toilet. I know I would pay top dollar for the right rig with a 6 speed (and did in a way, I knew exactly what I wanted) and there are a lot fewer manual trucks out there than their are autos.

I may be wrong though....
Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fireman346
My old truck was a 6 speed and it was great. Never had a moments trouble and i raised alot of rukus with it....lol... On the stock clutch i was hooked to a sled 10+ times. It slipped some while hooked but not once did it slip on the street. My truck and my dads had the same stuff done to them. His was an 04 cc auto and mine was the one in the signature. At the track my truck was a full second slower than his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.