Doing a coolant flush tomorrow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Northwest Stroker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doing a coolant flush tomorrow

I know I'm beating this to death. I keep reading and researching, but I'm not finding a definative answer. I bought CAT ELC 50/50 mix, for some reason the Cat dealer on the phone is telling me I have the concentrate with the stock number I'm giving him. I hate to say that I'm bringing it into the dealer to change, I just don't have a place to do it. What should I make sure that the tech does before replacing the coolant and will it have to be topped off with distilled? I know they are going to use a machine to flush, just worried about having residual vc-9 in there when they place the coolant. THE BOTTLE SAYS 50/50. Should I run over to CAT and buy the concentrate, or just go with what I got? Its going in the 6.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I myself went to an International dealer to have my flushed shortly after purchasing. They flushed with the VC9 and water but did not use a machine. All total it took about 3 hours of steady flushing to get all of the existing coolant out of it (It appeared to have stock Ford coolant). When they refilled, they did so using Rotella ELC Concentrate. The tech said he would never use the 50/50 because the factory can never get a true 50/50 mixture.

He then went back with the Concentrated ELC and Distilled. He stated he would never use tap for any engine, but other places might. He did state that he recommended checking the coolant every year in October or November. Even with the coolant as good as it is, he still checks to make sure all the chemical are at the correct level each year.

Btw, they hooked onto the input heater hose at first to flush, then pushed water directly into the degass bottle to flush the last bit out.

Hope this helps some.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Northwest Stroker

Ok sooo, coolant drain then fill done? Didn't realize it till after I pulled out, that there are 3 gallons of Cat ELC in the back that haven't been touch which tells me old was mixed with new I should have done it myself. The gold stuff is Ethylene the Cat stuff is the same. I should be ok right? Someone please make me feel better about this Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

They didn't flush it and drain? Kind of makes me wonder as well if they drained it with the valve on the bottom of the truck because just your radiator alone should have taken more than three gallons.

As far as mixing it goes, I'm not sure what the harm would be. Maybe someone else will chime in! :Bump:
Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Northwest Stroker

Thanks for the replies roary, still hopin for more....

Installed filter kit yesterday, took about an hour

Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

so they didnt fully flush the old crap out before refilling with the elc? as far as i know the gold crap and the elc shouldnt be mixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.