Dont trust my truck any more??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dont trust my truck any more???

The most horrible thing has happened - I dont trust my beloved truck anymore! Imagine that!

After putting nearly $10,000 into the engine just THIS YEAR - wonder why I feel this way???

I just did 4- injectors a month ago, what a catastrphy that was.

Then in January a $6400 bill with ARP studs, new headgaskets, decked heads, magnafluxed and hot tanked heads, new lifters, every gasket and o ring replaced in entire engine, 1 new injector, new oil cooler, full EGR delete, new radiator, new ICP, new IPR, replaced exhaust with new 4" TB with kitty delete, new serpintine belt, new glow plugs, new glow plug harness, and probably something else I'm forgetting. The list was rediculously long of new parts.

Then I got stupid and decided I needed new wheels and tires and spent $1800 on my new DC2 Black 18x9 wheels mounted with new LT295/70R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers - a 35x11.7x18 tire - looks great - but right after that - the 4 injectors were toasted and had to be replaced.

While the truck was in the shop for 3 weeks (all injectors tested okay initially so we thought it was a fuel problem or FICM - although that tested okay too) I rented a small commuter car (another $500 for that for a week+). Then I ended up paying a $3700 bill for the stupid over-diagnostic (and probably a bit of inexperience and lack of diagnostic tools to properly and quickly diagnose the injectors) + 4 injectors and 8 sets of O rings for them - the first set were toasted when the problem it went in for started happening in the shop - compression gas blow-by - apparently the bolts that hold the injectors down stretch letting compression gas blow by and toasting the crush washer (incinerated that on 2- injectors - no trace of it to be found!!!) and melting the o rings. Had to replace all O rings again + install new injector hold down bolts on one side + the new gasket cover gaskets twice.

Plus another $230 for gauges - only 2 of the 4 are working right - 2 dont work. Should have spent more on the gauges then getting the glowshift - I think my mechanic jacked them up but I cant prove anything. Their electronic gauge sweep and I think he jacked that install up - not used to the electronic part.

Then I bought an AEM Water/Meth kit to keep the EGT's down - still have that sitting in the garage. Havent installed that yet.

Once I got the truck back - I bought a 2005 Toyota Corolla S auto - for my daily driver - 38mpg - and $8500. Love the car - great mileage for my 1000 miles M-F per week. But I dont trust the truck anymore.

Now its parked in my driveway. I drive it on the weekends. I get 16mpg. I'm afraid to drive it - waiting for the next big breakdown. I have a 800 mile mission trip to go on in the next 4 weeks - and even though all this work done on the truck should help me trust it - with the bills I have paid - I dont trust it any more.

What do I do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 AM

sell it........................
Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Man that sucks bud I would be afraid of it to I would prolly get out while the getting good.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
to scott52575, if u think ford sucks so bad then why are you in a ford forum. if u think there is not a chevy or dodge out there that has ever had problems like this then u are mistaken. every manufacturer has had good ones and bad ones, unfortunately for this gentleman he has a truck that has been prone to problems. he didnt post in this forum to hear people tell him negative things. plus here in the org we try to help our fellow members out.

Seems to me like u just had some tough luck man. after all the repairs u listed u should have just as a reliable a truck as any. keep ur spirits up man, we will try to help u out as much as possible.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 AM

Wow. Looks like most of the bad stuff was because someone screwed up putting the injectors in...... and causing more problems. I love my truck man but after that i would burn it
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 AM

Maybe you need to get a different mechanic?!?!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would be scared too. That's a ton of money to sink into a truck that's not worth a lot more than 10k. I'm hoping for your sake that the truck starts running well for you, and it was just a bad run of luck. Tough to say what I would do. Did a dealership do the work, or an indy shop?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Injector bolts strectched?!?!?! HMMMMM I've found a couple trucks where they weren't torqued correctly but I've never seen one stretch
Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
Two things. 1) if your truck is out of warranty getting something like auto enginuity would be a good way to know what is wrong with it. 2) there are a lot of mechanics out there. Some have bad days, some are not a good as they would lead you to believe.
It seems you have replaced just about everything to be replaced on the truck. You have also spent a lot of money on the truck. If you sell with the amount of money you have put into it you would be giving it away. If it were me I would watch the fuel pressure, keep up oil and fuel maintence and drive the truck. I would also be very cautious of who I let work on my truck. With my 04 I was about to have head studs done and there were a lot of people willing to do them but most of the people that were willing I did not trust. I was almost to the point of driving 300+ miles to have it worked on, taking it to the dealer, or attempting to do it my self. These trucks are diesels yes but they are a far cry from the old diesels and well they are just plain finiky. There is not a huge margin of error and parts and labor are not cheap.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstokes1987 View Post
to scott52575, if u think ford sucks so bad then why are you in a ford forum. if u think there is not a chevy or dodge out there that has ever had problems like this then u are mistaken. every manufacturer has had good ones and bad ones, unfortunately for this gentleman he has a truck that has been prone to problems. he didnt post in this forum to hear people tell him negative things. plus here in the org we try to help our fellow members out.

Seems to me like u just had some tough luck man. after all the repairs u listed u should have just as a reliable a truck as any. keep ur spirits up man, we will try to help u out as much as possible.
I appreciate the words of encouragement. And for the fellow about selling it - I cant - upside down on payments and I still need a HD truck. My credit is bad enough I cant get another truck loan. I owe about $14K on this one (i know - do the math - I could have paid it off had the problems not happened - then sold it then bought something else???)

I'm highly frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.