Is it really hard to do or just time comsuming??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it really hard to do or just time comsuming???

i have all the parts to do a egr delete kit and a oil cooler rebuild. my question is is it really hard to do or is just more a time comsuming thing?? any input guys would be great. i miss driving my truck. stuck driving my mother in laws jeep grand junk till the truck is running!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

pretty easy faster with 2 people, tops 8hrs to egr kit with 2 people. I did mine in 5hrs.... what kit you get?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM

I got the sinister diesel kit. looks simple. the only thing i lack is paitence. lol 8 hours huh? maybe i will do it after all. if i can find a friend to help.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM

email sent
Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry to jack ya... but I am gonna do egr delete and 8 injectors whats the timeline look like?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

I am no master mechanic but with the help of a buddy it took me 5to6 hrs to do the full egr delete, im guessing the you have to pull the valve covers to do the injectors with is a pain. Someone correct me if I am wrong. im guessing its going to take some time, the passanger side seems easier than driverside.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ford_trck
Guys he is also wanting to do his oil cooler. That means he will have to completely remove the intake. It isn't a terrible job just time consuming. Make sure you get the screen underneath the oil cooler too it won't come with the kit. Get a siphon gun or something and suck out the reservoir the cooler sits in you will screen then. When your done do a cooling system flush. Drain the coolant on the drivers side of the block. remove the thermostat, Fill with 2 qts of Ford's iron out and top off with water. Let the truck run at 1200-1800 RPM for 1 hour and then drain the coolant then drain the block 1 on drivers side and 1 on drivers side it is behind the starter. Other than that it isn't bad.
Otherwise make sure you have 6-point metric sockets especially 8mm and 10mm and I hope you have a good torque wrench. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just did EGR delete and oil cooler a couple of months ago. Yes it's a pain. No I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for me. I flushed my coolant before I started just because I didn't want all of that crap clogging up my new cooler. I piddled around and did a few other things like CCV mod while I was doing it, taking my time I probably had upwards of 15 to 20 hours in it. If you had help it would be less by close to half I'd say, provided you had everything you needed and didn't have to chase parts or tools.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 AM

It can definitely be a pita, but it is definitely do able and i wouldn't pay anyone to do it. If your not real familiar how everything comes apart it will be time consuming and i highly recommend taking your time making sure that you get everything clean and back together properly so you don't have to tear into it again. I would say roughly for egr delete and oil cooler rebuild your looking at about 10-15 hours depending on how familiar you are with it and how well everything comes apart.

As for doing injectors i have never done them but i did have my valve covers off and the passenger side valve cover is a bugger to get off, the drivers side isn't too bad theres just more to remove since you have to remove the ficm.

Also I recommend getting a paint pen and marking where your bolts with studs go both on the intake and on the valve covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.