Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Confused about CAT ELC

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BigRed02 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have everything in line to do a coolant flush, have it all layed out to do in the AM. Cruising on the internet I stumbled on to a youtube video that's informational saying not to use the stuff that contains "Ethylene glyco." Using this stuff will kill your motor. Only use the "propylene glycol." Well I just bought 100 bucks of this CAT ELC and now I need to know if I need to return it because it contains the Ethylene. Are there two types of the CAT ELC? :dunno: Oh the video I watched was the Powerstrokehelp guy. :tard: (The Three F's.... video) Thanks in advance Oh and one more thing what is the typical cost for you guys that do it. The dealership only charges $130. I'm already 20 over that.

#2 ·
I only have and only will use the Motorcraft Gold coolant with distilled water. As expensive as these motors are, I don't want to give the dealership (or Ford) any reason to not fix something under warranty. Gold already includes additives for cavitation, etc.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Ethylene Glycol is designed more for the diesel engines than anything else.

Propylene Glycol is designed more for the gassers.

I'm running Cat ELC and so is my buddy.

What you DO NOT want to do is mix the two of them up. The Ethylene Glycol will turn the Propylene Glycol into a gel that can get stuck in your system and cause bad things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.