Turbo bolts missing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo bolts missing?

Doing alot of work on my buddies truck that required removing the turbo. I've got it off to finish the work in the morning. I spent quite a bit of time looking for the 3 mounting bolts. I didn't have any trouble with the rear bolt. I simply removed the v-band clamp on the downpipe and was able to scoot it over a little and send a 3/8 drive 6-pt socket straight down on it and break it loose without a problem from the top. The 2 front bolts next to the pins were not there and there isn't any evidence that they were ever there. I also checked my truck which recently came from the dealer with an oil cooler rebuild and EGR cooler replacement under warranty, and it also doesn't have the front bolts. What's going on here? I havn't read anywhere that the turbo can be held in place by only the back bolt. Has anyone else seen this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM

I'm fairly certain there should be bolts in all 3 holes.....
Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It's very common for the front bolt to fall out for some strange reason.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
It's very common for the front bolt to fall out for some strange reason.
Surely not both?...... Shouldn't they be torqued in enough to resist vibration unless under constant idling for years on end?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 AM

The turbo and it's pedestal have a high degree of harmonic vibration. Bolt torque is not an answer to preventing the bolts from loosening.

There are a few ways to preventing a bolt or nut from coming loose. While a common method is to use an adhesive compound on the threads, it can be counter productive when it comes time to disassemble the parts for maintenance. The rear bolt is a good example of when things go bad and using thread locker would just make it worse.

A decades old method used before the ease of thread locker compounds and still used in military and aviation is to use safety wire ties to prevent the bolt or nut from unscrewing. It's not that hard to do once you learn the basics and using wire to retain these bolts would be the best choice IMO.

Here is a good write-up about using the techniques:

Safety Wire Techniques

Last edited by TooManyToys; 06-10-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM

After pulling the turbo I found one of the front turbo bolts laying against the HPOP cover. It looked like it has been there a LONG time as it is covered in grease and dirt. Would using split lock washers help at all or is safety wire the way to go? My truck just got out of the shop for a warranty repair involving removing the turbo. I'm wandering if I should take it back and ask where my front turbo bolts are and expect them to replace them. How crucial are these bolts to have installed? Thanks for the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.