CB antenna mount ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CB antenna mount ?

Where would a guy get a cb antenna mount for up on the driver side hood area. I've seen people driving with this mount which appears to bolt in under the hood and come up through the crack in the hood and fender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WALLCOT CB IN IOWA GREAT PEPOLE.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Northwest Stroker

Truck stops usually sell CB and related equipment, don't know if you have a Pilot Travel Center in your area but they sure sell stuff also RadioShack.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Adj. Hood/Trunk/Hatch Kit - Firestik CB Antenna Mounting - $29.95

This might help,
try googling it.. I got all kinds of applications and brands. I usually tend to stick to Wilson for my antennas, not sure if they offer any mounts like this. Good luck to you!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
if you cant find one just mount it on your mirror
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM

i have one they are stupid, it got bad reception and looked like ****, the antenna is much longer than your fm antenna, just looked like trash on my truck i threw it out. im gonna get a window mount probably
Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you dont' mind a magnetic mount... Wilson 1000 and 5000 Antenna's are great. Tune real well and will let you talk. Low modulatoin if you get a decent CB. I loved mine. But a mirror mount would be easier to mount. IMHO
Old 06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ya. rear antenna mounts are better.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM

I been using CB's for quite some time. First what you want to do is get some 8-10 gauge multiple strand wire for your positve power lead, (which the bigger the guage wire, the better the power source for the CB and also helps in output), (on my other truck I had I gotten an alternator for an ambulance as they have a higher voltage and amp output, also better for reception and output), for your CB and amp power and have it go directly to your main battery, (NOT your accessory battery, otherwise you will get noise interference in your CB speaker), from your CB with a 30amp fuse between the two. What you want to do is measure the distance between center hub of front and rear axles and at the halfway point is where you want to mount the antenna, generally on the roof of the truck but put it as close to the halfway point as possible but center of the top of the cab. This will actually give you better reception and better output. If you are running a power amp with your CB it is better to run an additional ground wire from the CB case to the amp case and then to the ground wires. Your ground wire can be 16 guage multiple strand wire.

The reason for the measuring I had a CB tech guy out by Georgia and Alabama line on IH 85 down by West Point that built CB's and he had set mine up and after the fact he had a meter that after he had the power on he walked around my truck to make sure the readings on his meter were right, the meter picked up the signal output of the CB waves from my truck. I can't remmeber what he was reading, I am not sure if it was olms, or something else. But he said that with the tires being grounded to the road, the best place for the antenna and better output and range was exactly halfway between the front and back axles on the roof of the cab.

Most people will mount the antennas on the bed rail just behind the cab which is also good but you want the antenna to go at least 2 feet above the cab. Now if you plan on running 2 antennas the thing about that is to get good range and without the antennas fighting each other you need at least 8 feet between the antennas which pickup truck beds are less than 5 feet from side bed to side bed. If the antennas are too close together you will not get the range and you will lose reception.

It would also be good to get a meter and tune your antenna. 1/8 inch wire whips are the best antennas to get. Stay away from fiberglass fire sticks or fiberglass antennas that have coiled wire around it as they eventually break and go bad and antennas are a lot of money.

If you mount the antenna on the bed rail where the post hole is. Make sure you get some sandpaper and sand the underside lip of the hole where the antenna mount makes contact with to make ground contact.

Also, if you are going to peak and tweak your CB be careful who you bring it to as some people out there that soldier don't have that much knowledge and experience and won't peak and tweak it right. Find an older man who has years of experience. Most of them are former military vets who repaired radios in the service. Stay away from young kids who are only shown what to do. Talk to some truckers around your area and see if they know of a reputable guy that peaks out radios.

I am running a Cobra 29 peaked and tweaked with talk back and a roadking dyna mike and a Texas Star power amp. I can get a good 20 mile range on my radio and about 28 miles with the amp on,

Last edited by TheHarleyMan2; 06-09-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.