Interesting Noise, is this normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting Noise, is this normal?

This weekend I finally broke her in. My buddies and I went camping up in the national forrest and got my truck off the pavement (hit a rut and screwed up the alignment in the first 20 minutes LOL just my luck). Any way, on the way back I was pushing down the road at a constant 80 - 85 with no load and the AC on. When I got to the grapevine and started working it up the hills and getting on and off the throttle, a noise that sounded like a motor or fan or something along with a slight vibration began cycling on and off. I could feel the vibration under my left foot at the driver's side and the noise sounded like it was coming from the same place.

I think there is a pump or something at this loction but I am not positive. I guess my question is would this be normal for whatever it is to cycle on and off like that or is it likely that something is about to fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy06 View Post
This weekend I finally broke her in. My buddies and I went camping up in the national forrest and got my truck off the pavement (hit a rut and screwed up the alignment in the first 20 minutes LOL just my luck). Any way, on the way back I was pushing down the road at a constant 80 - 85 with no load and the AC on. When I got to the grapevine and started working it up the hills and getting on and off the throttle, a noise that sounded like a motor or fan or something along with a slight vibration began cycling on and off. I could feel the vibration under my left foot at the driver's side and the noise sounded like it was coming from the same place.

I think there is a pump or something at this loction but I am not positive. I guess my question is would this be normal for whatever it is to cycle on and off like that or is it likely that something is about to fail.
I bet it is the fan coming on trying to keep the motor cool going 80-90 up hill with the AC on.
2 stroker
Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
I bet it is the fan coming on trying to keep the motor cool going 80-90 up hill with the AC on.
2 stroker
Yeah that's a possibility but it really seamed like it was a higher pitched buzzing or something and I could feel it at my feet in the driver's side floor board. I suppose this could still be the fan cause it stopped doing it on the downhill side after all the big climbs. I appreciate the input.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:56 PM

Pull your HFCM filter...sounds like there may be some issue with that. You may have damaged or crimped a fuel line....?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke View Post
Pull your HFCM filter...sounds like there may be some issue with that. You may have damaged or crimped a fuel line....?
I'm not sure where this is located. And once it is pulled what am I looking for to tell if something is wrong?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Its in the exact location you describe...well very close...its on the driver side frame rail....you will want to change this filter every 10K miles...also you may want to add a upgraded drain plug...in case you get a WIF light while on the road and don't have access to tools. Pull the filter and see if there is any noticable debris or water...not sure why it would be acting up, but sounds as this is a likely suspect based on your description of the noise location. If there is considerable debris...then change the filters ....sounds like that may be the case...since you wern't aware of its location.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

The HFCM looks like this under your truck, under driver door.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_029.jpg
Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
The HFCM looks like this under your truck, under driver door.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60...l/ps60_029.jpg
Thanks amdriven2liv...got my back on that one... Here's the drain plug upgrade recommended. Diesel Technician Society
Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to WydOpen
Hmm, I think this is what I'm experiencing!

My problem thread...

Buzzing/humming/vibration feedback through gas pedal...
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WydOpen View Post
Hmm, I think this is what I'm experiencing!

My problem thread...

Buzzing/humming/vibration feedback through gas pedal...
Whoo that's an interesting one, but I read your whole thread and it doesn't seem like me. It doesn't do it at idle the only time I have ever experienced it was at high speed up and down hills and there was vibration and noise. Hasn't done it again since I got out of the hills. But I thank you for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.