Scared... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scared...

Okay, so hello everyone, I have a question. After being on these forums for a LONG time, i finally have enough cash to either buy a used 6.4 or 6.0... But im scared its either with the 6.4's blowing motors or 6.0 blowing head gaskets and injectors. I have a question and I would like everyones input. I own a small decorative concrete company. Does well and gets me through college. anyways I don't really tow anything. maybe a bobcat or something like that every once in awhile (2-3 months) i also have a small(6x12) enclosed trailer I usually take with me every day. NOW to the question. I hate durmax and cummins. ALOT..... So, if this is all i haul... am i going to have all these problems. I'm not going to really drive the snot out of it and it might go to colorado during the winter for ski trips and what not. I just don't know if its really worth spending $35,000 to know the truck will be in the shop 50% of its life. So the question is if i don't tow with it what are my chances blowing the motor (6.4) or messing up the injectors (6.0)

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

well injectors are not always an issue on the 6.0 if you keep your oil changed on a regular basis 3-4 thousand. My father has 180,000 and he had to do his injectors once still on his orginal head gaskets. my 6.0l has 150,000 and i've replace 2 injectors due to missing. my truck also has orginal head gaskets. hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 AM
Premium Member

I don't know about 6.4L but I love my 6.0L. From reading "too" many posts on here after I bought, I thought "what the heck did I just buy?" But am more comfortable with it now. I have found this truck is great stock. And info on this thread has been a plus. Plenty of people have had zero issues, but they don't post here. Why would they?

As "thenubsterman" Maintenance is key. Read up on costs of maintenance and know going in what your costs are going to be.

Since you are not sure about which 6.4 or 6.0. And sounds like you are seriously in the buying mode. I suggest you get yourself a "Scangauge II" ($169) or an "Edge Insight" ($299 w/out EGT probe) and you can take the vehicles you are looking at for a long drive and check some issues as far as temps go. ECT-EOT and more.

Have fun looking! And don't forget to get an "Oasis" report from Ford on each vehicle you test out.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well put, Sean. Despite the issues with my truck, I LOVE it! It still brings a smile to my face. There are also things you can do to prevent some of the more common failure points. Best of luck and ask lots of questions before you purchase.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

lol thenubsterman came from me only having one hand which everyone calls the nub llol
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I honestly would go with 6.4, since they have a lot less problems stock.

And the fact that you still have a warranty. Fuel mileage would suck without a DPF delete though.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I have had little issue with my 6.0 - other than those that i caused myself - and i'm at 140k miles and still going strong with original head gaskets, original EGR cooler (no EGR delete yet)...original everything other than Alternator, batts and CPS.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
im with these guys... i love my 6.0... and any problems i have had have been operator induced..... maintenance is the key, if you maiantain the truck it will love you back
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

I have a dumb question:

If you are this worried about the issues with the 6.0 and 6.4 - why not look around for good condition 7.3? Just a thought.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ive owned a 7.3 and honestly. it will be my daily driver and I hate the out dated interior. it just bugs me. im looking at this

Clay what do you know about marc heitz ford? trustworthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.