Anyone done coil spring conversion? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone done coil spring conversion?

Anyone around here pulled this off yet? If so, what kind of cost/headaches can be expected? Was it worth it? Not necessarily lookin for any lift, just an improvement to the stock set-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned

as in removing the leafs and adding the springs in its place?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Yeah. I don't even know if it is worth it, but I have been kicking it around. Lots of free time on my hands over here in the sandbox. I see some kits, but they are like 4in+ lift kits. I'm not interested in making the truck any taller. I'm not even sure if there is a real benefit, seeing as how the truck was obviously set up for leafs anyways. Just puttin the feelers out.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

from what ive seen, it can be a swap since the mounts are the same on the frame. i would do an axle swap since the spring front trucks can turn better than the leafs. but the newer axles are different sizes. there has to be a way to use the mounts on your axle to swap over.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

Hmm...didn't realize I would have to swap axles. Probably not something I want to get into.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

i would look into swappin the spring parts over before you do axles. might not be worth it since its expensive.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the coil truck turn ALOT BETTER> we have a 05 f-450cc lb 4*4 at work that will turn circles around my 04 f-250 cc sb 4*4

well if you do the axle swap it probable wont cost much because you should get most money back on the stock one if you sell it.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:50 AM
Premium Member

My personal opinion is the leaf spring trucks ride better, a lot better. My 06 is mushy in the front, like every other coil sprung Super Duty I've ridden in. My 99 and 03 both felt much better.

As for turning, the coil trucks are suposed to have a tighter turning radius but I can't tell a difference trying to park anywhere. I will say there was a couple year gap between me having the 03 and 06, both CCSB's, and I've never driven/turned coils & leafs back to back for comparison. I will say that in general mall/shopping center parking, I can not put the 06 anywhere that I didn't used to put the 03.

I can also tell you my 06 CCSB requires more effort to steer than anything else I've ever driven. I'll have to look under it and see if it has dual steering stabilizers for some reason, I beleive it's a single unit. That would affect the effort significantly. My wife cant turn the wheel single handed at anything other than highway speeds.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Leaf springs will ride better modded than a stock '05 up radius arm suspension but lift a '05 up and use 4 link arms and no comparison.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
The only benifit would be turning radius. If you want a better ride get different shock or springs. the stock coil sprung setup in my opinon is not the best. They have had a lot of issues with wheel hop and death wobble. If you plan to swap to coils up front do your home work and invest in a good set of coil overs that are adjustable. You will be able to dial in your ride height and spring rate for what you do with the truck. it would take a lot of fab work unless there is a kit avalible. If set up right though you would acheive a tuneable front suspension, more travel and a cool mod. There are a few ways to set it up with coils. Radius arms, 3 link and 4 link. All have their benifits and drawbacks. These trucks are not ideal rock crawlers due to the overall size and 4x4 trucks of this size arnt going to handle like a sports car. Point being you can spend a lot of time and money for a small gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.