Need some help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help

Hey guys this is my first time posting here so first off hello. I have some questions on what I believe is a pretty decent deal on a truck that is in my area. Im looking at a 2006 f250 KR thats loaded (no moonroof) with the 6.0 and 69k on the clock. They want 29k for it, but i think i can talk them down. I currently own a 2005 dodge ram 1500 that i bought a few years ago when i turned 18. I have always been a diesel fanatic and this look like a good opportunity to own my first diesel now that im 21. I guess here are my questions. Assuming that the truck is in good shape do you guys think that this is a good deal? Also with new studs and gaskets can I make some serious power out of the 6.0? I know the 5r110 will hold plenty, but will the engine? Is there anything that I should consider? What kind of mileage do this beasts get? Its probably not much worse than the 14 that i currently get. Thanks in advance for all the help.
-Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone have any advise?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got a 2006 F350 FX4 SRW with a manual trans and I get between 17-18 mpg. I hear that the guys with auto's get even better.

As for the power... I just got a SCT X3 tuner with custom tunes, and the power increase is amazing. You'll think its a completely different truck. But, the million dollar question is will the engine (and head gaskets) hold up? and no one will be able to tell you that. It's a gamble, but with studs and an egr delete is a good power-plant that can definately make some power.

I say go for it... but, talk'em down first.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM

I took the leap myself about 5 months ago and bought my 05 6.0 cc. I love it ,but hated that I bought and had to put about $3500 in it right aways to do the studs,egr,oilcooler,sct,gauge sytem!! But now I love it, so much room and tons of power, fuel miles are about 18-22 on the highway. But mine is sitting on slightly larger then stock tires! Take a look all around at dealers in your area, most know of the problems with the 6 litres so you should be able to talk them down quite a bit!! Good luck
Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im sure that they would be willing to go down a little bit. Hopefully 2 or 3k. I just went to the bank today and I owe 9600 on my ram, but the trade in value is almost 12k. I figured it was a good deal. (dont know how to do faces yet) haha

As for the power I have long researched diesels and I would without a doubt go with some arp head studs before i loaded any major tunes into her. I wouldnt want to risk it with thos weak gaskets. I wanted a 6.4, but illinois is a little stricter on emmissions testing and looks for the DPF. I dont want any fines and to be honest I really like the sounds of the 6.0 anyways. The think that I dont know is who makes really good tuners for the 6.0? Ive heard about Eric from innovative and know about the major companies, but is there any really good ones for the 6.0? Like spartan for the 6.4's?
Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Be sure to research the history with an Oasis Report .
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Firefighter Member

6.0's can be lemons or they can be good engines....just depends on the luck of the draw. Good luck and hope it works out good for you.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well i went and took the truck for a spin today and it rides like a champ. The 6.0 has tons of power in it! Only thing is that the dealer was pretty firm on not going below 29k on it. It was stickered at 30. They show it originally as 32 but marked it to 30. I want them to bring down the price, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. I was surprised about the people at the dealership though. Everything there was diesel. They had over 100 diesel trucks and the salespeople actually knew a lot about them. Probably a disadvantage for talking them down. :-(. Great service though.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Get the Oasis report for it. Check it's history. Since you are serious about buying a diesel, might I suggest buying a "Scangauge II" ( about $169 no EGT) or an Edge Insight ($ about 370 with EGT probe) and use either one when doing the test drive to check things especially the temp difference between ECT and EOT. They should be within 15 degrees of each other. Empty driving around I'm thinking it shouldn't be more than 10 degrees to have a healthy oil cooler.

Then you will already have gauges for the new truck. Just a thought.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry to keep bothering you but I have just a few more questions. The first one is how much does it cost to remove the old door handles and install new factory ones? Some really minor scratches on the inside but I'm just curious. The second is about the king ranch seats. One has a really small discolored spot and I was wondering if the aftermarket polish would help to get rid of it. The last one is that it comes with running boards and I was wondering how tough it is to remove those to put stainless nerf bars on it. Thanks a lot for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.