New one about to buy a 350 SD 6.0 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 03:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New one about to buy a 350 SD 6.0 PSD

After having sold my 96 Ram, I'm about to buy a Canadian 2003-2004 F350 Super Duty 6.0 PSD. Because I don't know anything about these cars, I searched the Internet and found this great forum! Although, I've already found quite a bit of information, there's a couple specific questions, that I couldn't find an answer yet.

- How do I get the DTCs? Can I read them with a conventional OBD scanner? Where do I find the plug / connector?

- The odometer reads something like 028000 kilometers, but the owner states that the truck does have 128k kilometers on it. Is there a way to be sure about that? Guess it could easily have run some 2- 3- or even 428k kilometers?

- Is there a way to get record-information on Canadian cars (already used carfax, but there's not much info registered. Does Ford have some kind of register, where one can ask, what kind of warranty or other work has been done to the truck? I've read about the 6.0 PSD being a problem child... Therefore, I'm a bit afraid, buying this thing.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rout9669 View Post
After having sold my 96 Ram, I'm about to buy a Canadian 2003-2004 F350 Super Duty 6.0 PSD. Because I don't know anything about these cars, I searched the Internet and found this great forum! Although, I've already found quite a bit of information, there's a couple specific questions, that I couldn't find an answer yet.

- How do I get the DTCs? Can I read them with a conventional OBD scanner? Where do I find the plug / connector?

- The odometer reads something like 028000 kilometers, but the owner states that the truck does have 128k kilometers on it. Is there a way to be sure about that? Guess it could easily have run some 2- 3- or even 428k kilometers?

- Is there a way to get record-information on Canadian cars (already used carfax, but there's not much info registered. Does Ford have some kind of register, where one can ask, what kind of warranty or other work has been done to the truck? I've read about the 6.0 PSD being a problem child... Therefore, I'm a bit afraid, buying this thing.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cris
Cris
This must be a private party sale so the person selling it will tell you what ever he thinks you would like to here, and the 03-04 and some 05 have been a problem child because, the big thing on the 6.0 is maintenance and somethime it's high maintenance. Ford had to drop the 7.3 and get something out for the clean air thing and the 6.0 came about and everyone that had the 7.3 thought they could do the same thing to the 6.0 as they did on the 7.3 and that did not work. There are a lot of mod's that you have to do to a 6.0 to make them trouble free. I have both 97 PSD and the 06 PSD, my 97 has 125,000 trouble free miles on it with about about $2000.00 in mod's just to pull a 14,000 lb 5er and almost $1500 in my 06 just to keep an eye on things. The 06 will out pull my 97 2 to1, what i'm getting to is that you may be out of pocket more money than you think, get an Oasis report on it and that will tell you what ever a dealer has repaired on it, just get the VIN it may cost a few bucks but you would know. Good luck to you.
2 stroker
Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
OBD connector is above your right knee while in driver seat. Ford diesels require a code scanner that reads CAN codes. (you can search can codes scanners)

Quote:
Not sure about Canada, but Ford does provide an "Oasis" report. Take the VIN# to Ford dealer and they can print out all recall fixes and repairs that are under warranty.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi 2 stroker, hi Sean

Thanks for the info!

Yes, it is a private seller and I don't really trust in what he says. The truck was shipped to Switzerland because the owner intended to move here from Canada. But he ended up going back to Canada and left the truck here. Now, his brother is trying to sell it and as you can imagine, he doesn't know (or doesn't want to know) too much about it... Since these trucks are hard to be found around here, I'm still interested in buying it. Therefore, I try to get to know as much as I can about it.

The OASIS report sounds like a good way to get more info on the vehicle. Do you know, how I can get one, without having to fly to the U.S.? Our Ford dealers here don't even know, how these trucks look like and I doubt, they have ever heard of an OASIS report.

Thanks again for your help

Cris

PS: Does anyone know, if a scanner can verify the mileage reading on the odometer?

Last edited by rout9669; 05-30-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

""""""The OASIS report sounds like a good way to get more info on the vehicle. Do you know, how I can get one, without having to fly to the U.S.? Our Ford dealers here don't even know, how these trucks look like and I doubt, they have ever heard of an OASIS report.""""""

Maybe if you start another thread asking for Oasis report explaining that you are where you are, someone might be nice enough to get you one. I'm not near a dealer right now, or I could get one for you if you have the VIN #. Post the vin# in the thread and hope for the best! ( we are having a new Grand baby today, well in a matter of minutes actually )
Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi Sean

Good for you!! Hope, everything will be all right!!

Thanks for the advice. I will do, as you said.

Regards

Cris
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Everything is going great, Thanks!

Oh, you might not get much of a response, after all it is Memorial Day Weekend over here. Tuesday things will re-open!

Last edited by amdriven2liv; 05-30-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Holiday weekend
Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great

Good to know, thanks. I'm quite anxious to get more information about that truck before somebody else takes it. Since I test-drove it, I 'd really like to have it. Compared to my 96 Ram, it runs like a rocket!

Take care

Cris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.