Racor Filters, Are they an EXACT match? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Racor Filters, Are they an EXACT match?

I know enough about manufacturing to know that just because Racor makes the filters for the Motorcraft brand it doesn't mean that their own product label is exactly the same as the one they make for Ford or Motorcraft. Copyrights prevent companies from making the same product under another label or even their own. So, is racor's direct replacement filter EXACTLY the same as Motorcraft's? Does anybody know for certain? I don't want save a few dollars on racor's filters only to cost me thousands down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM

They are an exact match.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Don't want to sound disrespectful or offend you bismic but, how do you know them to be the same. I've heard about other brands claiming to be a direct OEM replacement only to find later that they are not. Just want to be 100 % sure on my end. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:50 PM

What would you accept for proof?

Seems to me that maybe you should just spend the extra $1.25 for the Motorcraft FL2016 at Walmart if you are that wary. Or go buy them both and put them on your kitchen table and compare even at that there could be different filter media or materials used that only lab testing would tell you for sure. Unless you actually bore witness to them coming off of the production line and observed them being placed into different boxes you just never know for sure....

Sorry just not sure what would answer your question.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The fit is an EXACT match. The filter media between the racor branded and motorcraft branded units has some very minor differences though.

This was told to directly from a Racor rep
Old 04-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Proof? I don't know how one would provide proof. What convinced you that they are the same? Just want to make sure I'm not being penny wise and pound foolish. Just a side note, I quit buying from Wal-mart after one of my Wal-mart bought OEM filters had come apart in the filter housing during service. I was told by a parts supplier that there is some suspicion that some of the Wal-mart sold OEM's may be repackaged knock offs. I guess anything is possible. Just want to get as much convincing input as possible .
Old 04-10-2010, 05:15 PM

I guess the fact Ford doesn't seem to like anyone buying anything but their filters makes me very cautious. I've been reading recently that International dealers are supposed to sell filters to Ford Powerstroke owners under a different part number than the International part # because of a contractual agreement between Ford and International. I'm assuming the Ford part number has a higher price tag. If that's the case then I wonder why Ford would allow Racor to sell the filters at a much less expensive price. That's how I've arrived at my level of caution. Just makes me want to ask a lot of questions!!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
Proof? I don't know how one would provide proof. What convinced you that they are the same? Just want to make sure I'm not being penny wise and pound foolish. Just a side note, I quit buying from Wal-mart after one of my Wal-mart bought OEM filters had come apart in the filter housing during service. I was told by a parts supplier that there is some suspicion that some of the Wal-mart sold OEM's may be repackaged knock offs. I guess anything is possible. Just want to get as much convincing input as possible .
Wouldn't Motorcraft flip their lid if the part in the box was not genuine Motorcraft? How many miles were on the filter?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM

If your talking about the filter that came apart it was only about 5000 miles. I always look at the filters before putting them in to make sure they look like they have the OEM markings, but how do you know if it's a really good knock off. Who knows? All I know is that these engines don't seem to like any conditions outside of perfect, and a self destructing oil filter doesn't seem to fit in the perfect category. Kinda makes a good case for a by-pass filter doesn't it. So the media on the Racor is different, does it filter the oil down to same micron rating?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
Don't want to sound disrespectful or offend you bismic but, how do you know them to be the same. I've heard about other brands claiming to be a direct OEM replacement only to find later that they are not. Just want to be 100 % sure on my end. Thanks!
Do what I did - Buy one of each and put them next to each other.
Patent numbers - same
Dimensional measurements - Identical
Construction (parts and assembly) - same

Here is a start w/ the oil filter:
Make sure Oil filters are OEM style. Check:
1. One piece top (NO plastic cap adaptor)
2.Top is glued to the filter media
3. Patent numbers (below)
4. Felt gasket on bottom
5. Diameter - exactly 1.5"
6. Length - exactly 6.5" (excluding the 4 snap tabs on top)
7. Filters are stiff and resist any twisting motion
8. 52 or 53 pleats
9. Pleats are 11/16" wide and 6 3/8" tall

U.S. Patent 6.554.139 describes the filter components (the good stuff, made by the Parker-Hannifin Corporation).
U.S. Patent 6.086.763 refers to the front disk assembly (not quite as important - made by Ing. Walter Hengst GmbH & Co.).

Fuel filter patent info:
U.S. Patent 6.495.042 describes the HFCM filter component
The element in the engine compartment has: PA6-GF33 w/ number 58230-10-FF printed on it; w/ 1076 below it.
Racor made fuel filters have a white "Aqua-Bloc" media on the large HFCM filter (will-fit filters do not due to patent infringment). This extra media is what helps with water seperation and sediment seperation.

Last edited by bismic; 04-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.