Oil is too clean? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil is too clean?

I'm new to diesels, but recently bought an '04 F250 SD with about 78,000 miles on it. Not too sure of the service history (looks like coolant puke on the blanket under the hood but could maybe be residue from some kind of steam cleaning?).

My question is about the oil. I'm only on my second fill-up (about 750 miles on the beast), but both times I've checked the oil, it's clear enough that it's difficult to see on the stick. I have to hold it so the light reflects off it and I can see where it's wet.

My understanding about diesels was that the oil gets dirty quickly. If the window sticker is right, there's about 3,000 miles on the oil, assuming a 5,000 mile change interval.

So that's not conclusive, but is there something about the engine or maybe about ULSD that keeps it from getting dirty quickly?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it's still pretty clean it's got less than 3k miles on it. It's not a very dirty engine but will dirty up at at least the same rate as a gasser. If the truck is idled alot it will darken up quicker.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hmm.. Coolant puke is NEVER a good sign. Sounds to me like you have a clean running diesel though..
Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
Hmm.. Coolant puke is NEVER a good sign. Sounds to me like you have a clean running diesel though..
Like I say, I'm new to this, so I can only imagine what that looks like, but the stain on the hood blanket goes clear over on the far passenger side. Is that normal for a puking Degas bottle?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarsson View Post
Like I say, I'm new to this, so I can only imagine what that looks like, but the stain on the hood blanket goes clear over on the far passenger side. Is that normal for a puking Degas bottle?
Ya. Mine used to puke really badly.. EGR delete cleared it right up.. The EGR makes the coolant run WAY hotter than it should and boils it, this over-pressurizes the coolant system and blows out coolant.. If it's coolant, then it's a white, powderish substance that is left over once it dries... Like if you took salt water and let it dry.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee365 View Post
If it's still pretty clean it's got less than 3k miles on it. It's not a very dirty engine but will dirty up at at least the same rate as a gasser. If the truck is idled alot it will darken up quicker.
It may well have less than 3K on it. I'll be changing it around 80,000, just in case.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
Ya. Mine used to puke really badly.. EGR delete cleared it right up.. The EGR makes the coolant run WAY hotter than it should and boils it, this over-pressurizes the coolant system and blows out coolant.. If it's coolant, then it's a white, powderish substance that is left over once it dries... Like if you took salt water and let it dry.
Ugh - probably it. I don't know if studs/gaskets were done to this truck or not. Maybe I can check with the dealership.

Did you put your EGR delete kit in yourself?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarsson View Post
Ugh - probably it. I don't know if studs/gaskets were done to this truck or not. Maybe I can check with the dealership.

Did you put your EGR delete kit in yourself?
Yes.. But I know my way around the 6.0l more than the average 21yr old does... I did all the mods in my signature. I'd just focus on the EGR being bad. I doubt the HGs are blown.. You would know if they were
Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
back to business

Oil - I run synthetic, and it'll stay pretty clean looking for the first 1K miles or so, then it'll start getting black. It's lookin' pretty nasty by 5K when I change it. I just did a change 04 march, I checked it yesterday when I got fuel, about 700 miles, the oil was still "new" looking on the dip stick.

coolant - How is the level in the degas bottle? If it is normal, and stays there, you're prob. good. There may have been a problem at some point, but it may have been fixed. Did you get an oasis report on the truck? EGR delete can be done in your driveway with a few tools and some basic knowledge, it's not that hard. Head studs will be a lil more difficult. .02
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07OUTLAW View Post
Oil - I run synthetic, and it'll stay pretty clean looking for the first 1K miles or so, then it'll start getting black. It's lookin' pretty nasty by 5K when I change it. I just did a change 04 march, I checked it yesterday when I got fuel, about 700 miles, the oil was still "new" looking on the dip stick.

coolant - How is the level in the degas bottle? If it is normal, and stays there, you're prob. good. There may have been a problem at some point, but it may have been fixed. Did you get an oasis report on the truck? EGR delete can be done in your driveway with a few tools and some basic knowledge, it's not that hard. Head studs will be a lil more difficult. .02
(highlighted word)----------------------^

Outlaws are freaking nice trucks btw.. My dad was going to get one but he went with a 6.4l instead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.