Fuel Filters and B100 use - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Filters and B100 use

I would like to know if any one knows of or uses a manufacturer of fuel filters for the 6.0 that hold up well ? Both times that I've changed fuel filters on my '07 , the fuel filter on the top of my engine came out slightly deformed when I used B100. (Not clogged that I know of , but deformed.) I was just wondering if there was a manufacturer who used specific materials like they do in service station fuel filters that sell biodiesel ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyredneck1 View Post
I would like to know if any one knows of or uses a manufacturer of fuel filters for the 6.0 that hold up well ? Both times that I've changed fuel filters on my '07 , the fuel filter on the top of my engine came out slightly deformed when I used B100. (Not clogged that I know of , but deformed.) I was just wondering if there was a manufacturer who used specific materials like they do in service station fuel filters that sell biodiesel ?
I think you found the problem with after market ones already, you seen the proof.
Buy ford motorcraft get em at autozone a lot cheaper than the dealer, maybe wallymart too.
JER-1

Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 AM

Deformed means that there is too much pressure drop across the filter. Too much pressure drop means that you will soon be replacing injectors (unless you have a high volume and high pressure aftermarket fuel delivery system).
Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM

All my fuel filters are Motorcraft. I bought a whole huge lot of 'em on eBay when I bought the truck. As for the fuel pressure drop (which I never noticed performance-wise), does the slightly higher viscosity of B100 as opposed to ULSD cause this ? As for fuel systems , which do you prefer for a 6.0 ?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Bio is more viscous. It has less BTU's so you will need about 10% more fuel delivery with it. It is a good solvent and can free up gunk. Bio itself can have contaminants or be poorly converted and be even thicker. All these will result in more pressure drop in your fuel system. Our stock fuel systems are marginal in the fuel pressure area from the factory. I have been told that Bio and steel fuel tanks are not a good combination (if you happen to have a steel tank).

You will not really see performance issues with pressures under 45 psig, but the fuel pressure needs to be there to "cushion" the injectors. Fuel pressure below 45 psig is the #1 cause of injector failure.

The most common aftermarket fuel delivery systems are Air Dog II and FASS. Several different models to choose from depending on your horsepower requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.