LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jwindbigler
5R110 trans questions

I just got off of the phone with an old navy colleague of mine, and he spent almost a year working in the transmission section of a Ford dealership. He was being trained to be the trans tech there. Anyway, he told me that there are "extra gears" in the 5R110, and there is a way to turn the 5 speed into an 8 speed. Is this kid just blowing smoke up my a$$ or is there some truth to this??

Also, why do they skip 4th gear when the transmission is warm?

Please sign this petition to have the commercial vehicle fees removed from your yearly registration (CA residents only)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 PM

The valve body is electronic so you can get it to shift in any pattern.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

So you can reprogram the computer to shift through all 6 gears, or can you get 8 speeds out of it?

Please sign this petition to have the commercial vehicle fees removed from your yearly registration (CA residents only)

post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
4th gear 1.00:1 and 5th gear is 1.04:1 from what I remember. It will shift 3-4-6 or 3-5-6 depending on temp, load, etc. but it doesn't go 3-4-5-6, and I don't really see much point in shifting from 1.00 to 1.04.

Got questions about your 6.0?

Still runninng Ford Gold Coolant?

post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Mod Newbie

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
They actually have 2 3rd gears. They have a 3a and 3b and chooses which which one to use based on temp.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I've heard of 6 gears not 8. Actually 7 if you count reverse. I don't think you can get it to go 1-2-3-4-5-6 with out completely rewriting the software. It would be pretty pointless.

Randy
2006 f250 4x4
crewcab shortbed
lariat auto
Some tuning, gauges and other assorted non factory dodads

post #7 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
They actually have 2 3rd gears. They have a 3a and 3b and chooses which which one to use based on temp.
Why would they setup somthing like that. Whats the point??

post #8 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Mod Newbie

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
Why would they setup somthing like that. Whats the point??
Has to do with engagement based on temp. from what I've heard. I don't know much about it.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
on that note it is 4th and 5th gear though. on cold strategy it shifts 12346. on warm it shifts 12356

Randy
2006 f250 4x4
crewcab shortbed
lariat auto
Some tuning, gauges and other assorted non factory dodads

post #10 of 10 Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
4th gear 1.00:1 and 5th gear is 1.04:1 from what I remember. It will shift 3-4-6 or 3-5-6 depending on temp, load, etc. but it doesn't go 3-4-5-6, and I don't really see much point in shifting from 1.00 to 1.04.
OK, this answers my question on why they they skip a gear.

Now it leads me to ask the obvious question, why dont they make 5 and 6 both an overdrive gear instead of using 5th as a 1.04 ratio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode