Help, Intake Manifold gasket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help, Intake Manifold gasket?

I have just finished putting in an new stc fitting, oil cooler and have installed the egr delete on the manifold. Got new gaskets for the runners but did not get the o-ring for the intake to waterpump housing. I did not know it was there until last night and want to go on with the intake now, should I wait and get one from the dealer? Does this o-ring need to be replaced? Can not find anything on the net about it.

A quick response would be greatly appreciated.

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte

I am guessing you could get away with it. I just replaced it during my egr delete and oil cooler change. My old one was very flattened and i think it was good i got it changed.

I really do think you could get away with it, I really doubt you would have a problem with it. However, if you are a worrier, like me, I would just bite the bullet and get the new gasket.

Also have a good look at it. Is it still pretty soft, or is it all stiff and flat? My new one was very round, mt old one was squashed flat.

How is the whole thing going for you? Mine went pretty well. Just flashed up today. My ICP sensor was also leaking so i changed that too.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your response, I think I could get away with it too, its still soft and rounded. But like you I am a worrier, and have decided just to wait and go to the dealer tomorrow and get one. It will be 3-4 hours of work if I have to go back in. I havnt even pulled it off the intake at this point, didnt want to tear it. Is there a rim or something that it pushes onto, doesnt seem to want to come off either? Mine is an 05 by the way.

The install went well so far, took me a wial to get down to the HPOP and Oil Cooler housing but went quick after that. I went with the RCD delete w/uppipe and it went on with a perfect fit. Also replaced the IPR while I was back there, and putting on a rebilt turbo. Dealer wanted $4500 to do all this, I will complete for under $2000 hopefully. This site has been a great help for sure. No way I would have done it without learning about it on sites like this. So I joined.

Dealer said I didnt need to do studs but am still kind of worried about them too. Ran it on an 800 mile trip pulling a boat over a lot of hills and have a small amount of fluid that was dried on the outside of the degas bottle. The dealer did say the temp diff was out of spec for the egr cooler and oil cooler so I hope that is it.

Thanks again,

Brad
Old 03-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte

Good for you! Good call on the gasket too if you are a worrier.

Mine was stuck a little too. A little tug will pop it out. There was no rim on mine.

4500 bucks!! Ouch! I didn't even ask. I figured it would be high but ouch. Much better this way. And we know more about our engines now too.

I am sure it is your oil cooler that caused the fluid loss. Mine did the same thing till i changed it. Now not a drop comes out and i really tried to make it. LOL

From what i gather is that the oil cooler gets plugged, leads to egr cooler failure, and sooner or later a head gasket if you don't get on top of it. Changing the oil cooler and getting rid of the EGR cooler heat load will add much life to the engine.

How much out of spec was your temp diff? Mine was WAYYYYY out if i pushed things. I was a moron one day and i was not paying attention, oil temp hit 235 and the coolant was 195. AHHHHH!!

That was when i freaked and ripped it all apart without thinking about it too much. I figured if i got it all apart then i had to fit it. LOL

Anyways, good on ya!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got the o-ring today. had to get it from Int. $5, ford only had it in a $97 kit with lots of stuff I didnt need.

My temp diff was 18 deg. truck was running fine with no real problems. Turbo had a vibration at about 1400 rpm comming off the pedal and could make it do it constant at that rpm. Bad bearings, to much slop in the shaft.(at 50 yrs old I got that too just cant trade it for a rebilt one). Just the turbo was $1500 from ford.

Noticed you have a coolant filter, how did you do it, have not looked into that yet? Is it worth it to do?

I may be slow to respond going to put on the manny now.

Take Care!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
definetly change that oring and if any crude has built up underneath it make sure and clean it out as well.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhull View Post
Noticed you have a coolant filter, how did you do it, have not looked into that yet? Is it worth it to do?
Take Care!
Yes, i would put one in. It won't cost all that much and it is a pretty easy fix. One of the few flaws with this engine is that the oil cooler has very small passages and makes an excellent filter for crap in your cooling system. Resulting in the temp diffs and resultant failure of the EGR cooler and head gasket due to lack of coolant flow and steam generation. So it is better to get all the junk in the cooling system removed with an external filter. I have read that even if you take perfect care of the coolant, residual casting sand, left over from block casting, gets released from the block passages and get into your oil cooler.

You can buy a complete system from many vendors for less than 200 bucks. I did my own with a base and filters from Dieselmanor, hose and fittings from my local auto parts store, and made my own bracket. It is pretty simple. I did it for about 100 bucks all in.

T into the supply line to the heater core, and return into the small vent line to the coolant tank.

It is really work it. If you do nothing else, do a coolant filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.