Rear Main Seal or Bed Plate leak.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Main Seal or Bed Plate leak....

I have a 2006 6.0 with what looks to be a Rear Main Seal leak. According to dealer, Bed Plate leaks are more common and leak where the rear main leak would show up. I have read postings here and talked to dealer about this and dealer says that leaking rear main seals in 6.0 are rare. He says they will have to take a look to determine whether it is rear main seal, bed plate gasket, or a hose in the area. If it is a bed plate gasket, then it's off with the cab and out with the motor to repair. Does all this sound right to anyone? Has anyone experienced what they thought was a rear main seal and after it was replaced the leaks kept leaking? Both are covered under warranty and truck has only 51k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it is a Bed plate they will end up pulling the rear cover and screwing with the rear seal anyways.. It could just be a o-ring on the cam or crank sensors, I have seen ALOT of the cam sensor top o-rings cut.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Mine is in the shop as we speak...getting it back tomorrow...I noticed a leak on the passenger side of the engine prior to taking it in...

After a few days in the shop they determined that it was a bedplate leak and they pulled the engine...they have to pull it because the whole bottom half of the engine pretty much comes off from what it looked like....i went down and saw my engine completely taken apart(obviously because of the studs too)

While they were in there I gave them my black onyx gaskets and ARP studs..they charged me 1298.00 to install them since they already had the engine out...that included them taking my heads to a local machine shop to have them checked for flatness and leaks.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Miles97. So I'm sure at that point they would put in a new seal on the rear main. If it is the o-ring, does that mean the engine does NOT have to come out? I always prefer as little work as needed to fix. Thanks for info.
Armyguy. Why the 1300. if they had the motor out already. How much of this fix was covered under warranty. They are talking 100.00 dollar deductible in my case. I can't afford the 13 big ones. Thanks to you also.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

I paid more because of thr ARP's...ususally labor for thaqt alone is like 2500-3000 because they have to pull the engine or cab.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just added oil dye to truck. oil dripping from bell housing, head gasket and block or at least thats where the oil ended up?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks Armyguy.......
Mike 6.0: Did you add the dye or the dealer? The service writer at the ford dealer I went to mentioned adding dye to the oil to figure out where it is coming from. I may take it there Monday to let them have at it. I hate having people touch my truck.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Just got mine back...looked at the invoice...dealer used dye to determine where mine was coming from...which ended up being the bed plate....just read it on the invoice and thought i'd share
Old 03-21-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 BluWhale View Post
I have a 2006 6.0 with what looks to be a Rear Main Seal leak. According to dealer, Bed Plate leaks are more common and leak where the rear main leak would show up. I have read postings here and talked to dealer about this and dealer says that leaking rear main seals in 6.0 are rare. He says they will have to take a look to determine whether it is rear main seal, bed plate gasket, or a hose in the area. If it is a bed plate gasket, then it's off with the cab and out with the motor to repair. Does all this sound right to anyone? Has anyone experienced what they thought was a rear main seal and after it was replaced the leaks kept leaking? Both are covered under warranty and truck has only 51k miles.
I had 55k on mine thought the same thing and it was the glow plug harness on the passenger side leaking oil. My son inlaw had what we thought was the same thing it was a oil line on the back side of the turbo . So all in all it could be a few things .. The GP harness with labor and all with out warranty would have been 400$ out the door.
Paid $100 and I was done but no more warranty for me
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 AM

If it is the o-ring on the cam or crank sensor they are changed with the engine in. Not that big of a job. Crank sensor is a little harder because the AC compressor is in the way.

i have also seen a few of the glow plug harness/o-ring leak, as stated.

make sure they die it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.