cleaning your 6.0 intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cleaning your 6.0 intake

Seeing as this seems to be a must according to some people when doing an egr delete. I am looking for a way to do it either by my self at home or having a shop do it while i wait. I found this kit and i want to know if anyone else has tried it or has any other methods of cleaning the intake WITHOUT taking it to a machine shop for a hot dip or whatever it is. This is for the guys who use their trucks as daily drivers and CAN'T afford to be without them for more than a weekend.

TechTip: Ford 6.0 Diesel EGR System Cleaning - - Hot Auto Products

6.0 BG Intake cleaning - New England Turbo Diesel Power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

when i did mine i plugged all the holes filled with straight castrol super clean and let it sit a couple hours then took the garden hose to it and flushed it out real good. look just as good inside as the outside did. cost me like 15 bucks for the superclean. plus after draining it out of the intake i just put it in a bucket and let it sit for a few days and most of the deposits came out. ive been using it to clean the concrete at the house ever since.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 AM

See this is what i was looking for. Thanks for the input. The only thing that scares me a little is hot getting all the chunks out and having one come loose and do some type of damage. How hard was it to get the intake out? The egr delete kit i have says that only partial removal is required, so what else is in the way if anything?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM

not sure on the 03's mine is an 04 but i think the intake is a little diffrent on the 03's they had a crosover tube in the back that connected the 2 runners together. I made my own delete kit for the egr. but youll want to get a turbo mounting kit. remove the alternator, remove charge air pipes, remove turbo, remove the fuel lines from fuel filter housing. remove oil filter cap and filter remove the 4or 5 bolts holding the filter housing on the oil filter stem. remove the intake bolts and slide it out. under the wire harness. dont forget to disconnect the ground wire on the left rearmost intake bolt. and dont forget to hook it back up. it only took me like 5-6 hours to do the delete on mine and i had to make everything.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 AM

Good to know. I did buy the turbo kit. Luckly i stumbled across it, no one ever said to get it when doing the delete. Any other gaskets for the oil filter housing a guy should get? i have a minor oil leak up there somewhere that i hope to find when doing this.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM

something else you may consider since your going to be in that far if your truck has any kind of milage on it is an oil cooler kit. thats about all i can think of. the intake gaskets are reusable. you can get the orings for the fuel lines but i reused almost all of the old stuff when i did mine and never had a problem. If you decide to do an oil cooler get the oil screen also that goes in the galley. this is also a good time to do an oil change as you can drain almost 90 percent of the oil. after doing that and cleaning the oil galley i can run almost 3000 miles before the oil looks noticably darker. i still change it at 5000 but its no were near as black as it used to be.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 AM

I just bought this 03 and 1yr ago the previous owner put in a new egr valve,cooler, oil cooler and 4 new injectors. So thank goodness the oil cooler is new. There is probably only 3-4k on miles since those repairs.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just had my intake out of the truck and I had a large storage container and filled it with ~5 gallons of power purple. Let it sit 24-28 hours, then hosed it out with water. Did a fairly good job, got lots of chunks out. Then I did it again just to be sure. There is some some stuff left in there, but it was cheap, quick, and easy.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM

yep you should be good to go then as long as your not seeing any issues, i tell you deleting the egr system on these engines is the best thing in the world for them. makes them so much happier of course not having to suck on your own exhaust makes everyone happier. lol. good luck if you need any help you can pm me if needed.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:51 AM

I appreciate it bud! I see your not too far away from me up here in MN. The whole egr thing is a joke. Like you said it would suck to breath in your own farts all day with no window to roll down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.