engine light when towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine light when towing

I purchased my '06 Super Duty diesel in January with just over 76K on the odometer; tomorrow I'll hit 80K. Today I was towing a trailer and skid-steer (around 8,000 lbs) through town and a short hop down the interstate. I stopped at the fuel station to fill up and shortly after my engine light came on I was in tow/haul mode and not dogging it by any means; the trailer/equipment is well balanced and everything in working order. There was no change in the way the truck ran after the light came on

I don't have a tuner yet so I can't pull codes so I'm scheduled in the AM to stop by the dealership for a diagnostic. I was wondering if anyone here may have an idea of what I'm looking at. I was planning on purchasing an oil bypass filter and a coolant filter; that is now hinging on how much this sets me back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 AM

I'm about to head out to the dealer; I'll post the results. Hopefully not too much $$$
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Let us know... a check engine light could mean anything...I wouldn't go to the desaler just to have a CEL read though...they are gonna charge way too much...there are several shops that will do it for free...here pepboys does it free or you can rent the scanner for free from autozone...

I have an sct tuner so I will just use that now...
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I get a overboost code anytme I pull my 4runner up a mountain pass. It turns off after I shut the truck off and then restart though . Good luck
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM

Turned out to be the turbo; tech said it was a boost failure (didn't mention overboost) but said he checked everything and all was good. The tech said I was traveling at 63 when it happened; he said I may have gone to accelerate but backed off quickly or something that could have caused the light. He said the motor was in great shape, if I had any more issues to bring it straight back.

They actually didn't charge anything for the diagnostic! Could hardly believe it; I have to say I was surprised by that. Definitely makes me feel good about the dealer for sure.

One thing I wonder about the boost failure is if my turbo may be dirty...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 AM

BTW: What's the difference between the wrench light and the engine light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.