Stupid 6.0 ? Lifted vs not MPG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid 6.0 ? Lifted vs not MPG

Curious since my truck has always been lifted 6" on 35s or 37s...

Do those who swap to bigger tires lose noticeable MPG? If so, how much?

Do those who lift above stock height lose MPG? If so, how much?

I've been considering lowering my truck and putting back stock tires for MPG gains, but if its no gain, why spend the $. I don't want to spend it and say "damn, its 17mpg instead of 16mpg"

Last and not to the topic of the thread- has anyone ever streamlined the bottom of their truck in effort to increase MPG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Hmm, are you wanting to get better MPG's for around town driving or towing? I ran stock wheels and tires on my 6" lift for a while and it looked a little goofy but not bad at all. Put's more of the truck into the air for a little more drag but the smaller tires are easier to turn and stop. I havn't heard of anyone doing aerodynamic mods to their truck for better mpg's. If you are wanting better around town daily driving mileage do what I did when oil shot up. Bought a 1992 Toyota 2-dr little compact car for $800 and I get 40 mpg ever tank with it. Paid for itself in about 6 months compared to driving my truck in fuel costs. By an economic cheap little car and fix it up and leave the truck alone.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 PM

While I appreciate the input, its not at all what I'm asking for..

Still the question remains.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM

You might see 3-4 mpg mixed driving gain going back to stock.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 AM

Best way to get your MPG up is to change your driving style, and that doesn't cost you anything but a little time. Back when #2 got hideously priced, I put some work into finding the most economical way to operate my F350.

In town is where the big savings are. Take off slow, no more than 10psi boost, avoid fast stops. If you see a light change, get off the fuel now, let it coast down. 2k RPM is the sweet spot on the road, depending on your gearing that will be 63-70mph. With my 06 that has 4.10 gearing, it really drank the stuff if I got it over 65, delivered around 20-21 at 50-55, 17 at 65, 14 at 75. And that's with a crew cab and dually rear.

I was seeing avg 12mpg driving to work. With all that, I got it up to around 18. A 28 commute became a 33 minute commute, but I figure at $4.50/gallon, I was saving $5 in fuel while taking 5 minutes more. That came out to $60/hour savings, pretty good pay for sitting on my tail.

Big tires are a tradeoff. You up your gearing, but you also increase your spinning weight. Comes out slightly lower, I lost a couple MPG with previous trucks when I went to large mud tires.

Haven't lifted my F350 but I did lift a Chevy with the old 6.2 diesel some years ago. Didn't affect in town, but it hurt highway mileage.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
In town is where the big savings are. Take off slow, no more than 10psi boost, avoid fast stops. If you see a light change, get off the fuel now, let it coast down. 2k RPM is the sweet spot on the road, depending on your gearing that will be 63-70mph.

I wouldn't drive like this with the 6.0. The motor needs to be ran hard to be kept clean. You may not have had any problems but you'll see more soot in your engine than if you ran it hard. You may save a small amount in fuel only to pay more in EGR valves, turbo cleaning, injectors, etc... If you're going to drive like that make sure to run some good cetane booster and don't hardly ever idle it.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 AM

if hes already seeing 16 mpg out of the 6.0....then at best with stock ride height he may see 18 in daily driving...i dont think its worth it....i'm with JOHNO....pay attention to your driving habits and you can probably get more out of it and best of all....its free
Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 PM

I get the driving style and I'm not concerned with MPG as much as a cost to benefit of losing the lift, there are multiple reasons to lose the lift, but the MPG increase (possible) is a small factor. Possible kids in the future, easier to load stuff in a lower bed, less likelihood of some jerk-arse going after my ins. for more money, that kind of thought also comes into play.

Its cool to have a lifted truck but if I got more, I'd be happy. I'm not complaining or asking for more MPG, just don't want to blow 1500 bucks (or whatever to get it back to stock) and get the same MPG. I do drive nicely around town and have experienced 21+MPG while cruising at 52MPH. Pretty cool to do that, but nobody goes 52MPH and you'd get killed going that slow through Houston, TX. Literally killed.

Lift isn't necessary, more MPG isn't necessary, just curious. Seems like the general consensus is that smaller/stock tires will yield better MPG versus a 37" tire lifted on 6"

Now, do I actually put it back to stock height is the question...
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghawg98 View Post
Seems like the general consensus is that smaller/stock tires will yield better MPG versus a 37" tire lifted on 6"
I agree with this. At stock height, I was seeing 15 mpg. 8" lift and 37" tires later, I'm down to 12-13 mpg.

But there are other factors involved. The truck got about 1,400 lbs heavier (added a 60 gal aux fuel tank and a full size spare) and the speed limits in FL are 70 mph so I'm usually running 75-80 mph just to keep up.

Going back to stock height you'll probably see a 1-2 mpg increase.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Honestly I dont think you would benefit by going back to stock just for the MPG's for 2 reasons...

1. You are having to spend 1,500 bucks just to get it back to stock all for a savings of a measly 1-2 MPG gain??? doesnt make sense to me

2. for less than 1500 bucks you could put a EGR delete kit on there along with a SCT with custom tunes and probably get a 2-3 MPG gain and still have the cool look of a lifted truck.

Now on the other hand...if you go back to stock you are obviously putting less wear and tear and the overall truck..If you are in Texas I think you will have alot easier time selling a lifted truck than a stock truck from what I hear...lol
My buddy lives in longview.

All in all I think there are pros and cons to each so its really going to boil down to personal preference...Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.