Newbie 6.0 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie 6.0 questions

I was initially considering a 7.3, but saw the tune-ability for 6.0s are better and the aftermarket is in their favor as well. But I have read a few recalls and see a few problems with the 6.0's. As all of you know needing the egr delete, arp studs, and head gasket replacement. Doesnt seem like anything big. A day or two and they are fixed. But is there anything else I need to be aware of? I know most trucks dont have any problems and you only hear about the ones who do. Im not looking at a particular truck just yet so I cant pulled an oasis report but will when it comes down to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The 7.3 I think is a way better engine IMO but it has its problems too...deff not as good for tunability as the 6.0...every engine is going to have its issues...

If you are looking for mainly tunability then I would go with the 6.0...if you have the money id even start looking at the 6.4's though...a DPF delete and a spartan tune will put you a some pretty good numbers....

As far as the 6.0 there are a lot of things that can be replaced for reliability..if I were you and you decide on the 6.0..I would get a late build 07...most kinks were worked out by then...

1.one piece STC fitting
2.egr delete
3.arp head studs and black onyx gaskets
4.coolant filter system
5.oil/fuel filter system
6.updated turbo hoses and clamps

That's about all that comes to mind right now besides the obvious sct tuner and guages...if anyone sees anything I missed feel free to chime in.

Last edited by armyguy209; 03-15-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To be honest I think im kind of sold on the 6.0 body style. If i was going with a 7.3 i would go with 94-98. And the fiancee wont have any of that lol. But are you saying that 07 has changed all those? Bc it seems to cover most of the problems. Also doesnt the 07 was the first year to have emissions right? I really want to stay away from them. My dad has an 07 dodge (I know I know) But he has had so many problems with the emissions equiptment. And the mechanic says that all of them are having their problems
Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Haha no I wish that the 07 had all of that done...

What I was saying is that the 07 has most of the updates done (STC fitting, new tubes,etc) stuff like that...

Plus Ford completely remvamped the 6.0 4 times from 03-07...late 06 models and the 07's had the least amount of warranty claims.

Gotta be careful with the 06's or even o7's...mine is an 06 but it has a build date of 05 so I got the 05 motor in it which kinda sucks...oh well..

The list of things that I put are the mods people usually do to make this a pretty solid engine...there are a few other little things that can go out like the ICP but not too often...

Some people have turbo problems...I think mine has been rebuilt 2 times.

Maintenance is key on these thing....changing the oil and fuel filters at recommended intervals can save you alot of headaches.

And as far as the dodge and their emissions problems...that is because they added all that crap in the late 07 models through current....they havent been able to get them right since...if my engine goes out,blows,or has problem after problem....I will be throwing a 2006 CR cummins engine in it and be done with it.

Last edited by armyguy209; 03-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy209 View Post

Maintenance is key on these thing....changing the oil and fuel filters at recommended intervals can save you alot of headaches.
Very good advice for sure!

Also very important is to flush your coolant every 50k miles. Checking the fuel pressure and watching the "EOT vs ECT" temperatures are also very helpful in avoiding big repair bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.