Wow I just screwed my cooling system up... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow I just screwed my cooling system up...

Man I really need some help here. My truck just did something worthy of a Darwin award. I was finishing installing a coolant filter today, trying to be preventative. I tore the seal off of the coolant jug to refill the system to capacity. I set the seal on the wiper cowl because I didn't want to just throw it on the ground. It's been windy in FL today and a gust of wind came by and PERFECTLY blew the jug seal into the degas bottle with the cap off while the truck was in high idle. I tried to fish it out but it disappeared. I shut the truck off afterwards and here I sit, wandering what just happened to my truck. I should have just threw the seal on the ground... Is there by chance a coarse strainer in the degas bottle or is this seal going to end up clogging my EGR or oil coolers or will it just end up in the radiator. I'd imagine it would be okay in the radiator. I can't believe this happened and I bet you guy's probably havn't seen this before.

How bad am I screwed, this truck is my baby...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

I'm guessing it's in the bottom of the degas bottle. Let the truck cool down and take a look. May need some of those "remote fingers" (used for retrieving dropped nuts, etc. from tight spaces) to retrieve it. Wost case pull the degas bottle and flush it out from the bottom.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

It might just be stuck on the inside of degas. There are a lot of ribs and nook and crannied in the degas bottle. Real easy to remove the bottle. 3 hoses, and the two screws on the top. Hope it is in there. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:53 AM

You guy's are dead on. I tried to post shortly after my first post but the internet died. I posted in panic being pretty sure that it ended up in the system since it the flow moves pretty good. I went right back outside and drained some coolant into a bucket and removed the degas bottle. I stuck a hose up the bottom of the bottle and slushed it around a bit. After some work the seal moved it's way back over under the cap and I was able to remove it. What a relief! That ruined my day when it went in but made my week when I layed eyes on it. I'm assuming if it would have wadded up and left the degas bottle it would have passed through the water pump and into the coolant passages in the engine then if it made it through there it may end up in the oil cooler. Scary thought to me... My truck has a 100% original motor with original EGR and Oil coolers, head gaskets & bolts, etc... I think you guy's are right about the baffles saving the seal from entering the system. I doubt there is a strainer in there but the baffles make it a pretty hard road for anything you drop in there to make it to the bottom exit.

Next time I'll just litter and pick it up later if I see it. Anywho the filter is finished up and when I cut into the heater hose tons of grit, sand, rust, and whatever else that's brown came out. I did a complet contaminated system flush by the TSB with Simple Green and VC-9 iron block cleaner and throught I had most of the stuff out. WRONG!! It seems to have only broken more deposits loose. I'll be changing the first filter in 500 miles at my oil change and cutting it open. I thought that was only necessary for a system that's never been touched but that is totally false. No matter how you flush it you need the filter if you want it anything else than filthy. The first few ounces out of the bottom of the radiator looked like coffee with grinds still in it!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

whew, glad that didn't go any further! Sounds like you found a lot of junk in the coolant system. How was the bottom of the degas bottle? Mine was totally black and thick with crud and grit. Washed it out as much as I could.

Again, Glad you found it!
Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Glad that worked out for you. What year is your truck and how many miles? Just curious.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:23 PM

2005 w/ 85k miles.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Glad to hear all turned out ok
Old 03-14-2010, 07:55 AM

What brand of coolant filter did you use? I'm about to order one in addition to an oil bypass filter; trying to keep any unnecessary contaminants out of the system.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob1969 View Post
What brand of coolant filter did you use? I'm about to order one in addition to an oil bypass filter; trying to keep any unnecessary contaminants out of the system.
I bought the Dieselsite Coolant filter system. Also ordered extra filters to save on future shipping. Takes very little time to instal. I didn't buy their ball check valves, I built my own from parts from local plumping store. Took the filter bracket in and told them what I wanted.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324

I will not put on oil bypass due to getting oil changed every 3k. That would be over kill on 3k changes I believe. (dealer gave me free oil changes 3mo/3k)

Last edited by amdriven2liv; 03-14-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: oil bypass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.