doesnt seem to want to get up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
doesnt seem to want to get up

I'm new to this truck and all but from a dead stop she seems like it doesn't want to accelerate hardly at all. Its almost better to "roll" on the throttle then just stomp on it. I understand the turbo has to spool up, but for the first 2000 rpm its like there is nothing. Then after about 2k we have full boost and we are zipping right along. It just seems strange, and I wonder if this is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are u letting the truck warm up?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM

Yeah, I won;t move my truck until it has idled about 5-10 minutes if it is cold. If I try to go with it cold, it bogs and doesn;t want to move hardly at all. (I do have a tune and it dumps fuel faster than it can burn while cold)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Absolutly.. I could be in it for an hour and it still acts this way. I would compair it to traction control being on..(which I don't think it has) its almost like the truck has to think about it for a second, while it slowly accelerates. And once it figures everything out it brings on the boost, and zoom.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM

I'm not sure, may need the turbo and egr cleaned. But I am not 100% sure, someone who knows exactly whats happening will be along soon... for ya
Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 AM

What are you comparing it to? Most any large turbodiesel is going to seem a bit sluggish off the line compared to a gas engine. Of course, put a 15k pound trailer behind it, and see which one is slow getting moving.

Mine is a bit slow off the line, no matter how much you hit the pedal. Once boost builds up, here we go...
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Sounds kinda like the the vgt system isn't working properly, if u got less then 100k miles on it I would take it to the dealer and complain, take it to a dealer with a GOOD diesel tech, and don't go by how good they say they are, if it's got more then 100k I would take the weekend to take the turbo off and clean it and clean ur egr cooler and pull the egr valve out and clean or replace it. Cleaning it usually only worked for about 15-20k miles before I had to do it again
Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I plan to get an EGR delete soon..over 100k miles. What would be needed to do a turbo cleaning? Gaskets, seals etc..?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Probably a stupid question but have you changed youre fuel filters lately? Could have got a bad tank of fuel.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm in the process of doing an egr delete, I'm waiting on a icp and gaskets for the oil cooler because I got a couple oil leaks and I think those are the cause and since I had my intake off and the turbo was off I cleaned my turbo and intake manifold, B12 works wonders on soot, but the turbo comes apart at the big v clamp on it and mine came apart with some good tapping and a little prying, but when u take it apart make sure u mark the housing where the vgt cam is at, search cleaning turbo on here and there is a very good thread showing how, and a drimel will help with the rust and the scaling, and I used a good amount of anti seeze on everything from the inner part of the unison ring to the pegs for the vgt fins, check for shaft play and check the fins for damage replace all o-rings anywhere u find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.