04 f250 king ranch 86k miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 f250 king ranch 86k miles

looking at this truck really close southeasttexas.com - Autos

was initially looking for an 02/03 7.3 but this truck really caught my eye...but i'm scared about the 6.0...its a one truck owner with all regular oil and fluid changes/maintenace at ford dealership...havent ran oasis but owner states and has all paperwork...no major work has ever been done...i know any used truck can have issues, but...i would think at 86k miles if anything major was gonna happen it already would have...agree or disagree?

my buddy is a big 7.3 fan and keeps telling me its not if anything bad has happened, its when!

my other concern is it has been used to haul heavy loads (horses)...but, old man owns it, doesnt appear he has ran the crap out of it or anything...thoughts appreciated!

Last edited by 312inchmagnum; 03-13-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Personally, I think the 6.0 is worth the extra $3-4k you MIGHT have to spend on it at some point for studs & EGR delete. I was looking for an 01-03 7.3 but bought an 06 Harley instead for this reason. I just really like my truck and don't know that I'll ever have to spend that repair money, but I went into it knowing that I won't be sorry if I do.

That truck looks nice, and the majority NEVER have problems. You really only hear about the trucks that are having issues. Plus there are inexpensive mods that can be done to greatly increase your chances of never having injector or EGR problems.

I would definitely get the OASIS report, and I would seriously consider it if it was a truck I liked.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have no regrets with my 04 Lariat, engine wise so far has been good, I did do an Oasis report before I bought it and most of the upgrades were done. I guess with any used vehicle you take risks? I had the oppertunity to buy a totally mint 05 King Ranch in copper color with 89000 miles, the truck was a one owner truck, garaged, fanatically maintained, had one small scratch in the side of the bed and tires were a little worn, still driveable, I was able to get him down to $19500. I would have grabbed it, because my truck hat I decided on is in nice shape, not mint, but my mileage was only 60K and I really wanted a truck with 40/20/40 front seats, not a fan of the buckets with the console. Good luck with your descision, but it looks like a fine truck, and good luck with it if you get it.

Last edited by gtguyonli; 03-12-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM

spoke with the owner today...gonna go look at it tomorrow...actually it was the wife that has driven it...she said it was her "baby"...never been in mud, religiously maintained every 5000 miles at the dealership...actually went and pulled the history of everything that was done to it...not sure if she meant oasis report or not...said she brought it to the dealer the other day to have them look over it and everything was fine...also said they didnt really pull horses that much with it...daughter got into barrel racing a couple of seasons and that was it...everything is stock on it (so i'm assuming why they havent had any problems, plus religious maintenance)...anyhow im going to look at it tomorrow...if i like it i just might buy it!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM

drove the truck earlier...it really appears in phenomenal condition...beautiful truck...i checked the only few things i knew how to...pulled the transmission and oil dipstick...appeared normal...drove it a little bit...pulled oil cap off...not spitting or smoking or anything...only thing i noticed was the oil pan looked to have some soot on it...i'm not mechanically inclined (YET! )...what could this be a sign of?...and he actually does have a tuner on it...quadzilla...noticed it in the engine compartment...asked him about it...he said yeah i had this put on here cause everyone was doing it...has 3 switch settings...he said "i really dont even know what its for"...its supposed to give me better gas mileage...so that concerns me a bit...i called a diesel shop with a good rep to see if i could bring it by monday to look at it and they basically talked me out of it completely...started quoting prices of typical repairs and told me the 6.0 liter keeps them in business...so i'm kinda bummed and stick...what to do?

oh yeah has an e brake on it too because they did tow some horses for a short time when daughter was barrel racing...very little though...whats the issue with the e brake?

Last edited by 312inchmagnum; 03-12-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is so rediculous about how many people feel about the 6.0 engine. I went through the same thing as you a few months ago. I knew I didn't want to go with a 99-03 because of the age, for some reason i set out for a 04 or newer. Well, as I said I came across the truck I bought and decided on it because of the lower mileage and the options that it did have. So far engine wise, I am happy, I'm sure it is going to have it's issues, it is a used truck, so I will expect problems. But I talk to the service manager at Ford and he tells me nightmares about the 6.4s. It sounds legit, go with your gut feeling, are the sellers decent people? Do you know why they are selling it? You could pretty much tell if a truck has been beat, it sounds like this one was cared for. As for the soot, I don't know what that could be, you might want to have it checked. There are plenty of mechanics out there that will advise you what to do. I have to say, if I had to do it again, I think I would have looked for a 05 or newer because of the coil suspension over the leaf springs. I have had a few suspension issues, ball joints, sway bar links and bushings and I think that the 05 and newer with the coil springs has a tighter turning radius, my turning radius is terrible, but I was used to a 08 F150 with a 5.5 foot bed. Good luck with your descision.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i say go for it. the truck looks clean as hell, as far the quadzilla. my buddy had one on his truck before buying an SCT and he loved the quad, but he is in love even more with the SCT. Like said before its a used truck so expect to have problems. If it was me id save some cash and do studs and an EGR delete BEFORE it starts giving you problems. Once you own a diesel youlll never want to drive a gasser again.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM

yeah people are very decent...truck is immaculate...actually in the same profession as me and we got to talking about that...very good people...religious with 5000 mile maintenace...but after talking to the local well know diesel shop (owner is a ford master diesel tech that used to be head of local dealership diesel tech) they pretty much scared the living heck out of me with the prices of all the normal repairs they do...he told me he just doesnt like to see anyone get screwed and i appreciated his honesty...and i dont wanna end up with 5 k in repairs either next week...but i dunno...

Last edited by 312inchmagnum; 03-13-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM

oh yeah the diesel shop i spoke with sounded extremely high...9 grand for headgasket replacement
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I feel exactly the same way. I'm usually not a gambling person, but I took the plunge and will see what happens. I have to say, I am considering the ESP extended warranty from Ford, I think it was $2500, covers everything for 4 years, 48000 miles, just waiting for my tax money to come back and see how the finances go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.