Those that have done a DIY coolant filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Those that have done a DIY coolant filter

Hey guy's, finally getting the rest of my coolant filter system together. I've had the bracket, mount, and filters for months now but havn't finished putting it together. I flushed the cooling system months ago with simple green and then with VC-9 and thought I was good to go for a while. Well, I just took a sample from the radiator drain (trying to say it without the forum thinking I'm cursing!) and it came out brown with LOTS of grit sand and rust looking crap in there. That did it for me. Flushing it doesn't mean anything, it just breaks alot of crap loose. You've GOT to have a filter.

Anyway's, I've got the ball valves ordered through grainger that I'm picking up tomorrow morning. I still need the fittings to tap into the hoses. I think I need a 3/4x3/4x3/8 for the heather hose and 3/8 all the way around for the degas?? Does everyone use T-fittings or have some found angled T's that make the path to the filter easier for the fluid. Maybe some sort of Y fitting? Comments? Idea? Thanks!!

-Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM

I used standard Ts...the filter does get hot, so I know it's working.

If you were to use a "Y" type fitting I'd say it would flow more coolant through the filter, but I don't think it would be needed really. It's not like the oil where it NEEDS to be filtered every pass, just having the filter there is oodles better than what Fords engineers thought it needed.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Napa is out of 3/4x3/4x3/8 T's but they have a Y that's 3/4x3/4x5/8 and a 3/8 pipe thread to 5/8 hose. I could pick up those and run 5/8 hose into the base and 3/8 return to a standard T to the degas. Or should I just order the 3/4x3/4x3/8 standard T. Seems like the Y couldn't hurt.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
aluminum tubing engineer

six of one...half a dozen of the other
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I don't think a wye fitting will make moch difference in a pressure application. The bigges thing will be flow and volume (I.e. Size). From a plumbing aspect in that size I don't know of a 3/8 wye. Most pressure fittings are not directional. You have tees, crosses, 90* bends and various other x/ to/ x (male, female, transition adapters) fittings.Now drain and vents are a different story. But you seriously don't want to use any type of pvc or drain/ vent fittings mainly becasue of temprature and also be cause of pressure ratings.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 View Post
I don't think a wye fitting will make moch difference in a pressure application. The bigges thing will be flow and volume (I.e. Size). From a plumbing aspect in that size I don't know of a 3/8 wye. Most pressure fittings are not directional. You have tees, crosses, 90* bends and various other x/ to/ x (male, female, transition adapters) fittings.Now drain and vents are a different story. But you seriously don't want to use any type of pvc or drain/ vent fittings mainly becasue of temprature and also be cause of pressure ratings.
That makes a lot of sense. The T orientaton doesn't matter as long as it T's off in some way. Will there be much of an issue feeding the base with 5/8 and returning with 3/8. Since those parts are in stock I will probably just pick those up to finish it off. Anything else I should look out for?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

do you have any pics of this i would love to do one but don't know where to get the filter bracket and where to tie it into the cooling system i guess i would just tee into the heater line and then dump it back into the degas bottle but which heater line or does it matter.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM

I found this at an O'Reilly Auto Parts Store. I have seen this line of HELP Products at other Auto Parts Stores also.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I am also curious to what you did for the filter bracket. I want to make my own DIY kit, but the bracket is holding me back. I do not have easy access to scrap sheet metal.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
aluminum tubing engineer

most of the 6.0 guys are just using a piece of angle iron (cheap and easy from Home Depot) to mount em up...lemme go find you a pic...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.