Need your opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need your opinions

Hey guys. My name is Brandon. Im new to the board. I am in the market for a diesel truck. I used to have a 99 F-250 with a 7.3 and a 6 speed manual. I honestly was not that happy with the power. The truck had a 4 inch exhaust and a hypertech programmer that it came with. I know Hypertechs arent that great, I just still felt it should have been better. So im looking to get back into the diesel world. I honestly have been looking most towards Cummins. Mainly because I do like Dodges , and I really like Cummins engines. I have quite a bit of experience with them. So heres the thing. I found an 05 f-250 for sale. 6.0 with a 6 speed. Any truck I get must be stick. Its regular cab, long box with 52k miles. I truthfully have heard quite a few horror stories about the 6.0's. The dont sound that reliable. I dont want to start any wars here. I just want some opinions from guys that actually have them, and have some experience. So what do you guys think? What kind of problems have you had or not had? How well do they respond to performance mods? Overall how happy have you been, and for how many miles? Any help is appreciated. Try not to judge me too hard cause Im a Dodge guy haha. My first truck was a Ford, so I like them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I think I may be the odd ball here but I have a 2004 6.0l with 145,000miles and a edge juice/w att. 4inch open exh. aem brute air in take bought the truck new had little mods for 3 years and never had much trouble other than sticky veins in the turbo 2 years ago. took it apart cleaned it and its been fine. Mine must have been built on a wednesday
Old 03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know quite a few people who have had<----6.0's and have had nothing but problems from injector issues some turbo problems and my uncle has a small dump truck with a 6.0 that has 40,000 very easy miles and is on his 3rd motor. My opinion either get a 7.3 truck or a 6.0 with a hell of a warranty. Honestly if the 6.0 was the only motor ford had I would put a cummins in a ford anytime
Old 03-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Search around on here and you will see there probably are as many good stories about the 6.0 as there are bad, I have 96k on mine with only having a couple small issues, I bought it with 54k on it. The best thing to do is get an oasis report, that will tell what has been serviced on the truck, my truck had a clean report so I felt comfortable with the purchase
Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree 7.3 is a tried and true motor no question. But some 6.0s have problems and some don't have problems (knock on wood) I always thought if ford would just give up and put a cummins in or revamp 7.3 we would all be happy make it an option like the big rigs just my 2cents. good luck with what ever u decide.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
6.0 get a SCT with custom tunes, 7.3 TS based chip with custom tunes..
Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
What is your budget??? That makes a big difference in what kind of answers you are going to get...If you are set on a 6.0 then get a late model 07...most of the bugs were worked out by then...The tech at my dealership said they completely revamped the 6.0 4 times....always check the build date of the truck too...mine is a 2006 but has a 2005 engine in it...

As for the cummins..that is one bad a$$ engine but I could care less for the truck itself...those things fall apart around the motor (I am speaking from experience)

If you have the cash I would wait for the new 2011 6.7 Ford diesel to start being released and get that over the 6.0 or 6.4...like I said it all depends on your budget...

I dont have the money for the 2011 or I would get one....if my engine goes I will probably be throwing a common rail cummins into my ford and call it a day...too expensive for me to do it right now...

Good luck on your decision...always get on OASIS report on whatever 6.0 you plan on getting to look at it's history...that can save you alot of headache.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I love my 6.0. 78k on it and it hauls ***. Do an EGR delete and ARP head studs and it's a great motor.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi my name is David and i'm new to this. I just put a new turbo on my truck and I have air leaking from some where just cant figure out where. any ideas?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've got a 6.0 with 142,000 miles on it. Never had ANY problems, knock on wood. The motor has held up great, and the transmission too. It's got a straight pipe and I haul a gooseneck cattle trailor every day with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.