First post..and a big list of stuff ;) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First post..and a big list of stuff ;)

My new to me 05 CC LB FX4 6.0 w/114k miles are off and running. But, I have this list of problems that I hope to widle down to a great looking and running truck (love my Foords btw)

First order of business is change out all the fluids, but I am trying to figure out in which order due to some of the fixes I hope to get done real soon.. here is my list of problems, and hopfully you guys (and gals) can help me figure out an order to the fix it list.

She is a puker first off. Pressure cap and over flow bottle have been changed. No water in oil, but white/blue smoke at initial start up. So I'm thinking EGR delete from RCD (somewhat local to me). Runs strong, but the turbo seems loud to me but I'm not sure if that's just a by product of the K&N intake that the previous owner installed. I have had the turbo outlet boot off for replacement and there was oil in there (bad turbo seal?). I have occassional loss of fuel gauge, occassional speedo loss/jumpyness followd by the ABS light turning on. The wonderful 4x4 front end hubs not fully locking in, but I think that is just a hub seal issue. Since the rest of the vacuum controls seem to work properly.. and finally I have the tranny shudder at initial take off with maybe a weak 3 gear engagement on hard aceloration. WHEEW!, that's a list list

So where does one start, ya know? I do have an extended warantee (non Ford) that hopfully will cover the major stuff once it fails (like head gaskets, and tranny) but I need to get started somewhere with these issues for reliabilities sake, and my own piece of mind. I'm just not a big fan of "unreliable" type issues.

So anyhow, thanks for any thoughts or comments..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Don't you worry about it

I'd start by removing that K&N filter and putting something else on before it eat up the turbo. Secondly I would address the 'puking' then the transmission... they seem like the big three major ones here. And the turbos on the 6.0 are awesome loud stock so I imagine that the K&N isnt making it any more quiet...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea remove that kn filter its no good stock is better,u do realize are trannys need to ve serviced every 30k? Also flush the cooling system and do an inductive egr clean service at dealer.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can I get a replacment filter for the K&N? And if I do the EGR delete can the inductive cleaning be done afterwards? Isn't the inductive one the small fortune one ? Moneys gettin a little tight after all these fluid changes and such for a little while
Old 03-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Yeah, definately return the OEM filter if you want the Turbo covered under warranty. Id use that aftermarket warranty quick...get the turbo replaced and tranny replaced asap. If there was a tune on it before, how long ago? Id clear the capacitors before taking it to a dealer for service. If you don't have gauges I would add an Edge Insight or something comparable to keep an eye on vital temps and volts. Do you know the previous owner? How was it driven?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have the factory air box.. But I wondered if getting a dry filter in place of the K&N would be better, if available. I have no idea who had the truck before, but I do know it was a somewhat local one owner who (it seems) traded in for a new one possibly. In turn my local used car guy bought it from a Ford dealership from that somewhat local town. The best I can tell this thing was used as a truck. It has the fifth wheel mounted, and it appears to have had a plow blade on it at one point. Plus signal lights on the roof (evident from the circle magnet marks on the roof) I don't think it's in my sig, but I am in central IL.

I have an Oasis, and carfax on it to varify some things. But I do know the aftermarket waranty I got does not include the turbo. But just about everything else major, and some small stuff.

I plan to get some gauges real soon here (like tonight). But I need to get a couple things in order as far as fluids to even get a baseline on where this truck stands. Like getting the coolant flushed and refilled. Plus get the Tranny, diffs, and transfer case drained and refilled. That should be it on the fluids. It's a clean on the inside and outside truck. But I am sure it has had it's fair share of work so it's going to need some things.

I just don't know which thing to do first? I belive the EGR is out, that or a head gasket going. So I figure get the EGR delete to verify that portion and get the oil cooler done while I am in there. After that if the puking doesn't stop that pretty well leaves the head gaskets on that front (waranty). The tranny I will know more about after fluids, but chances are that will need rebuilt, and that would be waranty also. Who knows what I am about to get myself in to, but the price was right, and it's about as close to perfect inside and out as your going to find with that milage. So I jumped on it.

I already put new tires on it, and I'm just working down the list LOL
Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 PM

I'd try to pick up a used air box from a salvage yard or maybe someone on one of these forums who has an AM air filter will sell you one cheap. As for the fluids...don't forget the brake fluid flush and maybe new brake hoses and clean banjo bolts. Also I'd flush the Power Steering fluid and add some Synthetic ATF fluid like Mobil1. If you drop the old rear diff over to reload new gear oil, check with FordPartsdGuy.com and see if Ed can sell you a '08 allum cover for around $45. Looks nicer and keeps it a little cooler. You can use Zerex G-05 as an alternative to Ford's Premium Gold coolant. Much cheapoer, and they make the Premium gold anyway. When you do the tranny, I'd take it to a hot flush station and ensure they can confirm their machine heats the fluid to excess of 175*F, otherwise you're wasting your money. Get it hot-flushed and change the external filter FT-145. If you haven't already done so, I'd change the oil to a full synthetic 5w-40. After flushing the coolant, add a coolant bypass filter...never too late. To keep the intake, CAC tubes and turbo cleaner, add a CCV filter. The EGR delete will take care of the soot and colking thats happening in your intake manifold. Load test both batteries and make sure they are good to go. Add a bigger exhaust to help lower EGTs ...in IL you should be able to delete the cat and that trash can sized muffler without too much problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just when I thought I had it all figured out LOL.. I didn't know about the tranny flush temp requirement, that's good to know, Thanks! I have already changed the oil this round to RotellaT 10w-30 and noticed an imediate quieting of the motor compaired to whatever was in there before. At least it did have a MC filter.

In lew of finding a stock air box (anyone??) what would be the next choice in aftermarket? If I could find something to replace the K&N "filter" in this FIPK system I would do it if anyone knows where to look or who to talk to.

I have my gauges coming, and ordered a lower boot before the IC tonight also. I had replaced the upper one last week when I thought it looked a bit wore out. The lower might have been in worse shape but I havn't removed it yet. There is something about messing with a spongey part without the new one there I don't like LOL.

I know there are plenty of threads I'm sure on this, and I have read a few... But, is it really not needed to change out the internal filter on the trans? With the studder I am having upon initial acceleration, I just wonder if it's a low pressure condition. Hell, it might be the TC about ready to blow for all I know LOL. But I am just not sure if the added expense is going to be worth changing out the internal filter also after a good flush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.