egr delete advice needed!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr delete advice needed!!

So today my truck started to stumble and almost quit when i let of the throttle and then step on it again. The check engine light came on so I stopped at the local garage and had them scan it. Big surprise it's the egr valve again!!! The dealer replaced it when it was under warranty so the local shop told me to see if they would warranty it. The local shop thought there was a requirement to warranty emission parts for 8yrs 80,000 miles but the dealer says no. I asked the dealer if he had ever done a egr delete. He said they dont do them and that some of there customers had done them to the trucks and had problems afterwards. Are there any potential problems that a egr delete can cause?or does the dealer just want to keep slapping a new one in everytime it gets plugged up? Is it good to delete the egr cooler to? The local shop is willing to do the install. They have worked on all my vehicles for well over 20 yrs and are very good mechanics although they arent really a Diesel shop. If I provide the kit they will install it and still put a inspection sticker on it without this emmision junk.Is one kit any better than another? I would prefer the simplest route to make this truck reliable. I know this is alot of questions but any advice anyone can offer would be most appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the egr delete is a great thing to do cooler and all. dealer is full of it.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have to agree. The dealer just wants the business. My 06 EGR went bad and I replaced it in a parking lot. When it went bad again I decided to have a diesel shop do the full delete. It definitely runs better. I had to get a SCT to get rid of the codes. My local shop handled everything. Its worth the money. He tells me that this mod should cure all the problems on a "stock" 6 liter. One thing though, my mileage hasn't improved. Also I took my truck to a smog shop just to see if it would pass. It did on all levels except the visual. My cat was removed when I put a new exhaust on it.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The full EGR delete is the way to go...FCDP and GOGO diesel make good kits as well as others...Your dealer is yankin ur chain man...

The EGR system is one of the big weak links on this truck...you also have the TTY headbolts that stretch and if you dont have the new one piece STC fitting than you might wanna get that changed as well because if it fails it will leave you sitting on the side of the road.

If you have anything above 04.5 I believe...you need the SCT tuner so you can delete the check engine light...prior 04.5 the light doesnt come on...

Also make sure your state isnt doing smog checks yet...here in Cali its already started although I havent had to do mine yet...

Good luck on your decision
Old 03-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Premium Member

Avoid dealers at all costs, they are there to take your money. EGR delete is money well spent!! Your oil will be much cleaner as well. I got the RCD delete and love it
Old 03-12-2010, 03:31 AM

FCDP delete, studs and a SCT and have fun.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had my mechanic do the Full EGR Delete as detailed here in the forum under 6.0 Mod Help catagory.

My truck now runs cleaner (less black smoke under hard acceleration), gets better mileage and I beleive is ultimately happier engine.

I had 3 Ford Service shops around where I live now tell me the best thing to do with these engines is to delete the EGR system.

Do the EGR delete. Get rid of all that junk.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM

the truck is a 04 but has 03 build date so from what Im hearing the check engine light wont be effected . Im pretty much convinced that a egr and egr cooler delete is the way to go but Im not so sure that this my current problem .I posted this same thread in the 6.0 motor problems section too if any on has any suggestions theres more info there
Old 03-12-2010, 05:11 PM

hey redsox I'm in upstate NY too, where are you getting this done, im interested in this aswell how much is it going to cost?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im having the same problem with my 04. River city Diesel has a nice ERG delete kit for $360. Looks simple to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.