How to tell if had a tune/tuner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to tell if had a tune/tuner?

being i bought my truck used, is there a way to tell if the truck currently has or has had a tuner?

where would it plug in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

depends on what year. and what tuner
Old 03-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well its a 2005 Excursion

i dont know what type of tuner as i bought the truck used....

some of the people i talked to have asked if it has/had a tuner due to the amount of head gasket issues the truck has had in the past...
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well unfortunately 6.0 can have HG problems with or with out tuners. there are many old men out there that baby their 6.0 driving to the store and then back home or maybe to the golf course. they might have a EGR cooler or HG problems. you can however fix this problem. you can get a EGR delete and replace you head bolt with head studs. doing this makes you truck a lot more reliable! at least do an EGR delete, a lot of problems start with your EGR.

as far as tuners; there are a lot of them out there. most guys on here have an SCT tuner with CUSTOM tunes....keyword CUSTOM!!! custom tunes are much much safer than for ex; bully dog, edge, banks...i think they all plug into the OB2 port. but i know with a SCT you can plug it in, load the tune and unplug it.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also I have learned from the main diesel tech at my dealer recomended that my 04 6.0 is change your coolant well before scheduled time and do a chemical flush of the system and reestablish the coolant using distilled water and fords gold coolant. The oil cooler gets gooked up for lack of a better word and restricts flow in turn heats up coolant and also contributes to hg failures..I am in the shop thru next week with hg failure big money I didnt need to spend right now..Good luck to you
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaladdertruck View Post
I am in the shop thru next week with hg failure big money I didnt need to spend right now..Good luck to you
I feel your Pain man.... i just bought the truck about a month ago and it needs head gaskets... The dealer i bought it from is providing me some funds to repair, but not nearly what its going to cost (they are giving me $1000)

So now i have a 2005 Excursion in need of HG and i haven't even made the first payment....

The reason the tuner question came up is this will be the trucks 4th set of head gaskets, as they were replaced in 06 and 07 already. I had a few people familiar with powerstrokes ask if it has a tune or tuner, as the motor might be getting overly boosted due to a tune.

i will tell you, it was retarded quick for a lifted excursion on 35's!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have read a lot on here by researching old threads and if ford did the hg before they skimp on sending the heads out for milling..I told my mechanic do not skimp if it needs it do it I used the studs Sinister head gaskets a new oil cooler kit from ford Im by passing the egr cooler and having him look at hpop while he has it down I have a complete Banks system intercooler ram elbow cold air intake gauges 5" Banks exhaust and six gun with 38" tires I made it to 77k miles I knew eventually it would happen I just wish I would have egr delete and changed coolant earlier ...I like my 6.0 excpet for the timing of this expenditure ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.